M17x R4 w/ BenQ XL2420t

hakudemon

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Hello, I just bought the BenQ monitor hoping for 120hz not realizing that I had to use DVI-D to use the true 120hz, would a display to DVI-D converter work for me? and if so what would you recommend?

I found the specs, and it seems your laptop does have a mini-displayport connection. You'll need something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812191270

Unfortunately, every time I have looked up reviews on these types of converters, they often have issues, like losing a little power causing flickering. So make sure to get one that is good.

One thing I am noticing is that none of the ones I've looked up list 120hz as something it is compatible with. They keep showing high resolutions at 60 hz. I'm not sure that it will work.

Just so you are aware, you can use displayport for true 120hz, but the monitor has to support it. The Samsung 750 and 950 models are 120hz monitors that use displayport. If you cannot make that work, you might want to consider one of the Samsungs (make sure the one you get has displayport, they have some different models that aren't the same).