[SOLVED] M4A79XTD EVO - Need help/advice finding a new GPU

Feb 8, 2020
Hi, I need help finding a new GPU for my M4A79XTD EVO And yes i know its 2020 but my computer still works and id like it to work a little better!

My Question is.. is there something better? I want to be able to run 3 Monitors is this possible?
And can i run 2 Video cards to achieve this? I have run across some mixed messages on whether you can run 2 cards or not. Any help would be great thanks

Specs
M4A79XTD EVO
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb Quad-Core 3.2 GHz Socket AM3 125W
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Will be upgrading to 8 gigs shortly
OCZ 520 12U
And Currently running --- HIS Radeon HD 4670 DirectX 10.1 H467QS1GH 1GB 128-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX

Solution
Any modern GPU can run 3 monitors easy. You don't need two cards to do this. I see a couple of things you need to worry about. First, your board is running PCIe 2.0 I think. Before you upgrade make sure you have the newest bios installed. Second, your board is running a bios and not UEFI. I'm hearing not all cards like that.

https://community.amd.com/thread/235528

You also have a super old computer with a now really old PSU. I wouldn't plug a more modern GPU with a large 12V draw into an old PSU like the one you own. You should upgrade that as well as getting a GPU. You don't want your old 520W to fry trying to power the new GPU and kill it or more.

4745454b

Titan
Any modern GPU can run 3 monitors easy. You don't need two cards to do this. I see a couple of things you need to worry about. First, your board is running PCIe 2.0 I think. Before you upgrade make sure you have the newest bios installed. Second, your board is running a bios and not UEFI. I'm hearing not all cards like that.

https://community.amd.com/thread/235528

You also have a super old computer with a now really old PSU. I wouldn't plug a more modern GPU with a large 12V draw into an old PSU like the one you own. You should upgrade that as well as getting a GPU. You don't want your old 520W to fry trying to power the new GPU and kill it or more.

Solution
Feb 8, 2020
lol! Yeah everything on this computer is old I built 11 years ago. And yes its PCIe 2.0 and BIOS not UEFI

I should probably just build a new computer... there is just so much out there now and i haven't built or messed with a computer since i built this one and trying to dive into what to get and keep it relatively on a budget is crazy!

Question though how can i run 3 monitors off of one GPU? it would need 3 hdmi or display port right? im sure there is something new out there im missing. I should mention im not gaming i want the monitors for a work station.