[SOLVED] MAC address filter

Jan 6, 2019
Hello,

I have installed in a new network aside from my primary network. I have placed a MAC address filtering system on the network, but this is only working for the wireless network and not the wired network. How could I apply this to the wired network also?

Solution
You can't really. The function you need is called 802.1x even though it is much more advanced than a simple mac filter. Your router does not support it and even if it did you need a radius server to make it function.

You can on some router put in firewall rules that only allow certain mac addresses to access the internet. That would prevent internet use but they would still be able to access stuff on the lan.

Still it is pretty much a waste of time. WiFi mac address can be changed on some device, things like phones are a little harder because you need root. On a ethernet port it trivial. You go to the adapter setting page and key in whatever you like.

The theory is home lan does not need protection because anyone with...
You can't really. The function you need is called 802.1x even though it is much more advanced than a simple mac filter. Your router does not support it and even if it did you need a radius server to make it function.

You can on some router put in firewall rules that only allow certain mac addresses to access the internet. That would prevent internet use but they would still be able to access stuff on the lan.

Still it is pretty much a waste of time. WiFi mac address can be changed on some device, things like phones are a little harder because you need root. On a ethernet port it trivial. You go to the adapter setting page and key in whatever you like.

The theory is home lan does not need protection because anyone with physical access could just steal the router itself.

Solution
Jan 6, 2019

I have a couple more questions, could I private message you?