[SOLVED] Mac Mini Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Can anyone please tell me what is a good compatible memory to use referring to 4 gigs for the 2011 Mac Mini.? Thanks Marv Incidentally Apple I spoke to said their are incompatibility problems with 3rd part ram.

Solution
If I was trying to sell memory at 8 times the price that everyone else was I might be tempted to make up a few scare stories too. The only drawback I can think of is that Apple might claim that using third party memory voids the warranty (although I very much doubt that that would stand up in a court of law). So keep the original memory and put it back in if you need to make a warranty claim.
I just got 8GB from Crucial in the UK for my new Mac Mini server. Much, much cheaper than Apple's price - I don't know how they have the nerve to charge 160 UK pounds for 4GB when 8GB was 36 UK pounds. That's nearly 10 times more from Apple - no wonder they recommend that you buy memory from them!

Buy from a reputable seller and you'll have no problems - and get 8GB whilst you're about it; it's so cheap it's not worth bothering with just 4.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
So you are telling me no problems with the ram you bought for your mac mini. Apple bullshits again.

Kingston memory has a good reutation, so should be fine. If you've never opened the memory cover you'll find it takes a fair bit of force to twist it (mine did anyway), and even more to replace it. But don't worry; it's just tough plastic and aluminium and I don't think there's any way you could damage it.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I am not to coordinated so I will let a apple provider help me in this.Is Crucial better than Kingston in your own professional opinion? Thanks

I don't think there's an appreciable difference in memory from any of the major manufacturers. Like as not it's the same component with a different name stamped on it.

I didn't mean to make the upgrade process sound difficult. It isn't (I'm much the same age as you Marv). I just meant to say don't worry if it takes a little more force to get the cover off and on than you might ecpect. You can find videos on YouTube detailing the procedure.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Someone told me that Kingston Memory is mediocre to use and it brings trouble in the Mac Mini regarding configuration.Confused?

acron1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Although I personally don’t believe that there is much difference in memory from one manufacturer to another as long as you are dealing with major manufacturers (Micron, Crucial etc.) I have in the past ordered from OWC. They specialize on products for Mac and stand behind their products. Having said that I would only spend a small premium to buy memory from them...
Good luck.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I spoke with Apple today and they told me they are having trouble with different memory being installed in their machines. Would you stick with the original 2 gigs that came with it or go within 4 gigs and maybe look for problems.Thanks

G

Most of the time its nonsense.

If I was trying to sell memory at 8 times the price that everyone else was I might be tempted to make up a few scare stories too. The only drawback I can think of is that Apple might claim that using third party memory voids the warranty (although I very much doubt that that would stand up in a court of law). So keep the original memory and put it back in if you need to make a warranty claim.

Solution

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Thanks good concept about that. Apple is overpriced I agree.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
The problem here where I live now there is no warranty with this memory.Sucks read bad here to be a consumer with no backing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.