Mac OS X, Linux May be Exempt From Green Dam

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
that is what to do if i was chinese.screw pc makers and winblows for that green dam krap software.

chinese folks just buy linux or an apple

G

"We've been hearing about how PCs sold in China will come pre-installed with the controversial Green Dam filtering software – but what about computers that aren't exactly PCs?"

How can you say a Mac is not a personal computer? What is it a server? An embedded system. Come on seriously. Linux can be run on other stuff, but if it's installed on desktop/laptop it still is a personal computer.

I kind of doubt this will influence the Chinese in buying more Macs. I really don't think most of the population could afford to waste so much money. And the ones that can afford it I think represent just to little of the market share. Linux should benefit from this, but I am guessing it won't. Either they'll accept they are being watched or they'll do a fresh install of there own(not necessary a legal copy).

G

Will the computer makers be modifying the install discs for China to install this upon installation of the operating system? It seems like the normal format/reinstall smart windows users do upon getting a new computer will get rid of just another piece of spyware.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
After countless moronic ignorant remarks about the green dam software Marcus Yam steals the crown !

You can't hide from the Green Dam, unless you're a Mac or a... penguin.

Or unless you know how to push your mouse pointer to the field that says uninstall and click it.
Or on a lot of systems just dont install the "install this to get screwed.exe" file.

Ignorance from people replying here is nothing new and something we all have to live with.
However now even tech website reporters are starting to spread propaganda its getting really annoying.

If you really want something worthy to write about and if you really want to make a change then start fighting the huge firewall that is seperating china from the rest of the world!

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Allbert:

According to the regulation computer makers dont need to install it they only have to ship the installation files with every computer.
If they do chose to pre-install it (in the same way they pre-install all kinds of crap for years) you can un-install it just as you would normally do.

manjyomethunder

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
"but what about computers that aren't exactly PCs?"

Last I checked, all computers this could apply to are "personal computers". However, if you mean "computers that aren't running Windows", then I guess this article makes some kind of sense.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
So what exactly is stopping people from buying a PC with Linux pre-installed and then installing windows on it after?(not that you need a OS already present in the first place) If I was a retailer of PCs over there I would just have all my computers come with Linux and have make my computers come with a free copy of Windows just not pre installed. I could just simply charge the same price as if it was.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
NuclearShadow:

Did you even read ?
They don't need to use weird tricks to get out of the greendam software they can just simply un-install or get the system with a free bonus disk containing the greendam software and trow away the frikkin disk.

Its hard to read i know.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I bet this whole "Green Dam" thing is just a ploy from China to get computers all over the world to install and use this software. Then one day they are going to activate it and suddenly they will start calling it "Skynet". Then there will only be Mac people left alive, and they will live happily ever after. Until they die, because there isn't anyone else around to serve them their hourly latte or mocha to sustain their life force.

war2k9

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Mac are overprice, not that many people can afford it in china. Chinese government will not spend money on computer os that only have a few percent of the market share in china.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
I doubt this will help Apple sales, they're too expensive here, and must be astronomical in China. The iphones were made just outside of Hong Kong, then shipped to Cupertino for Apple to "inspect". They were sold here for $400, then some of them were shipped BACK to China and sold for $500-$600 - American! If their PCs follow suit, there is no way Macs will benefit from anything short of a MAJOR Windows price gouge (even more than Vista's prices, like say twice). I think Apple sells tons of ipods in China, but probably not too many Macs.

Remember that China has their own state-sponsored Linux distribution called "Red Flag" which they offer, not for free, but very very very cheap. Red Flag is essentially an XP clone as far as the GUI. Anyone caught using pirated versions of Windows is given the option of purchasing a legit license or going with Red Flag to avoid fines, jail, etc. But it's been reported that even those with legit copies are being hassled to go with Red Flag. By developing Green Dam only for Windows, the government could be trying to push MS out of China by making the Windows experience even more of a hassle than it already is - EU style.

Whatever the reason behind it, I hope the Chinese people find 1,001 ways around Green Dam, whether within Windows or elsewhere. I hope they make blocking/filtering/censoring the web the biggest PITA losing proposition the Chinese government has ever dealt with. The issue of net-neutrality is more important than any OS war.

DarkMatterBT

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Most users with any sense are gonna just do a fresh install, heck with the crap the companies put on white box pc's I'd recommend a fresh install right out of the box no matter where you buy it in the world.

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]nachowarrior[/nom]fuck china, we should bomb all of their government offices and destroy communism and human rights violations.[/citation]

North Korea is higher on the list. They been pissing off the world, china not so much and besides china offers much more then North Korea does.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
hmm, this brings up the same question I have when ever I see a "Mac vs PC" ad...
how is a Mac not a PC..?

its like, which is better? a coffee or a beverage?

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]tipmen[/nom]North Korea is higher on the list. They been pissing off the world, china not so much and besides china offers much more then North Korea does.[/citation]

Lol, like what? Communism and Human Rights violation is fine as long as they make us cheap TVs??

Status
Not open for further replies.