Discussion Mac OS X preview: Mountain Lion

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
If you've ever tried Puppy Linux (which runs entirely off RAM), you'll know what I mean. No seriously, try it out and that's how it feels like when you have an SSDs: Programs seem to open instantly, you no longer think that 1.6Ghz dual-core is a 1.6Ghz dual-core.

Applications opened pretty much as fast on my Lenovo x120e (1.6Ghz dual-core; SSD) than my desktop (3.7Ghz tri-core; 7200rpm HDD).

An SSD is what makes people able to use the Macbook Air without going insane.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I previously had a MBA and it was a little faster with the SSD than the HD. I concur with that statement of yours. The SSD is much more money though.

homiedontrightclick

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

Lion is a great OS. People complain about things like Launchpad and Mission Control, but I use them all the time. If you don't like them, you don't have to use those features at all anyway. Launchpad reminds me of a cooler version of the Start menu on Windows, and Mission Control is pretty convenient when you have a lot of apps running. People will complain about anything though, and there are Apple purist out there that want everything the way it used to be when they first switched over, or how it was ten years ago, or whatever their complaint. Having just switched, I can't really talk about the good ol days before Lion and iOS ruined the Mac platform, but I can tell you the OS X Lion is awesome, and I prefer to use it for my personal computing tasks way more than any version of Windows I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.