Mac OS X's Creator Leaves Apple for Science

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Article's quote[/nom]development and creation of Mac OS X, the world’s most advanced operating system.[/citation]

ehh .. world's most advanced ... that's one bold statement from a company that just redressed a linux and took away all that was smart about it...

if removing and disabling features is what qualifies as advanced, then Lada's the most advanced car maker!

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]pcCodinFoo[/nom]Please, a Q9500??? That’s an archaic POS!!! A single core of my O.C.’d Phenom 2 X6 can run circles around all four of your cores, especially since your POS Mac won’t let you overclock. Oh, and why won’t it let you overclock? Cuz it doesn’t have a BIOS. And why doesn’t it have a BIOS? Because steve jobs knows that 90% of his customers are morons whom he has to tell that they are “holding their iPhone wrong” and they’d F their Mac up 5 times a day if it had a BIOS and Apple tech support is busy enough trying to help all those “I’m gunna buy a Mercedes for 5X the price of a Honda cuz it looks like it is better” mentality type people who buy Macs. (that would be the $$$ you mentioned that Apple is making by robbing people stupid enough to think big price tag always means better, even though all the parts inside are the cheapest crap Apple could get contracts for; Seagate hard drives, foxconn MBs, …I can’t count how many complaints I have heard from Mac owners about their hard drives dying and their “super drives” dying – only Apple would call a DVD drive a “super drive” and only because their customers are the only ones that would fall for that… and yet you said that Apple is an “engineering” company that pays attention to the little details… Apple hires artists when they should hire engineers, hence the pretty, glossy, exteriors concealing crappy “super drives” that are bound to fail 10X more often than a normal DVD drive from newegg for $19)Windows doesn’t run on the best hardware in the world? I’d say an AMD HD 6990 is about the best piece of hardware that most people can afford and if you use openCL with C# you have a super computer sitting on your desk for about $2,000… (instead of spending $2,000 for your POS MacBook that didn’t even have a Core i7 option until what, a month ago?) You will never be able to get an HD 6990 for your POS Mac and even if you could (18 months from now) Apple would charge you $1,200 to add that to your Mac Pro configuration since most people who don’t know how to hold their iPhone correctly would not know how to newegg. Apple is a joke, just like Mercedes is a joke, just like…[/citation]

Uh bro, he said he has a Hackintosh. That is just what he uses as a processor. Does not mean he could not use something better. Seriously dude, you act like someone is offending your mother or something. Calm down, it really is not that serious. This is tech talk.

First of all, I am going to pretend that you are not that stupid to think that a Mac does not have a Bios. Guess what, it is called EFI bios and just so happens to be developed by Intel as the next generation BIOS which has been used in server hardware from Intel and HP since 2000 when the Itanium processors where first introduced. You talk about overclocking, well it is clear what kind of user you are. PC enthusiast that wants to be able to do that so you bought what allows you to have that control. Try calling your Mobo support organization and see if you can get support when you have a problem with your system and you tell them that you are overclock and see how long that call lasts. I used to build overclocking machines and although the boards market the fact that they can do it and put in tech for it none of them would provide any support if you did it.
Since you clearly are a PC "fanboy" the substantiate your clams that of the failure rate of Superdrives. Wrong, in the 4 Macs that I have had, not 1 failure, guess what, my workstation that I built using a Asus board, quad core CPU, Pioneer DVDRW drive, Corsair memory, Silverstonetek PSU, Rapter Drives as of right now and as I type this does not recognize the DVD/RW drive in the bios. Device failures happen, it is what it is.

Oh by the way, the i7 has been available for the Macbook Pro 15.4 incher and the 17 incher since the i7 came out. The two cheaper models came with the i5.

Oh also, you can put a ATI 6990 in a Mac Pro just fine. Just have to have the drivers for it but I can use it in Windows by using boot camp for when I need to game since that is the only reason to have that monster of a card.

Bottom line bro, you should relax. I bet your veins are popping out of your head when you wrote that.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]if OSX can run on a non-Mac generic PC and made free or priced reasonably, i might give it a try. yup, wishful thinking.[/citation]

uh, you can.. Just not supported. Do a search on google for Hackintosh. Oh and OS X Snow Leopard cost 29 bucks on Amazon and Apples website.

http://www.amazon.com/Mac-version-10-6-3-Snow-Leopard/dp/B001AMHWP8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1300969638&sr=8-2

Does that make your wish come true and does that mean you are going to give it a try........probably not.

By the way it is 64 bit and it has feature parity with Windows 7 Ultimate which is $274.00.

pcCodinFoo

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Those artists that work for apple that you call “engineers”; if they were engineers they would have been able to figure out why the day light savings logic in iOS doesn’t work in the time it takes for two actual day light savings switches to occur. So, does the fact that iOS is still an hour ahead of the rest of the world mean that iOS is the most “advanced” mobile OS there is?
No real “engineer” would think a solid aluminum casing was a good idea for the MacBook Pro or the non-removable battery. No real “engineer” sacrifices engineering wisdom in favor of artistic touch even if the almighty steve jobs asks for it himself.

Those artists that work for apple that you call “engineers”; if they were engineers they would have been able to figure out why the day light savings logic in iOS doesn’t work in the time it takes for two actual day light savings switches to occur. So, does the fact that iOS is still an hour ahead of the rest of the world mean that iOS is the most “advanced” mobile OS there is?
No real “engineer” would think a solid aluminum casing was a good idea for the MacBook Pro or the consequent non-removable battery. No real “engineer” sacrifices engineering wisdom in favor of artistic touch even if the almighty steve jobs asks for it himself.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]rudski[/nom]OS X is a joke.USB drives. When will Apple work out if might want to be compatible with USB drives that had been previously in a windows machine. Only read access.Clap clap.SMB support, where are you? Ohhh thats right, they didn't follow the standard. In certain situations you will only get read only root level access to the SMB share. Still broken in 10.6.6. Go read further into it if you wishPrinter drivers, some drivers do not allow users to switch from color to mono. Poor support for top end xerox printers.If you can't even get the basic's right then you have no right calling yourself advanced anything. OS x please die now[/citation]

Lol did you really just say that.... seriously. First of all, NTFS which is the filesystem that Windows has been using since uhhhh NT is Windows proprietary and other OS's not just OSX can not write to it when plugged directly in via a USB drive. It has to be formated FAT32 which is supported by everyone. Your statement is like saying Juniper routers suck because they don't support Cisco's proprietary EIGRP routing protocol.

SMB support works just fine, I transfer documents back and forth to my PC from my Macbook pro over the network all the time. Just just click on finder it wala, shows up on the left side or you can click go, connect to server, then type smb://youripaddress and hit enter and what do you know, all your SMB shares are right there.

Xerox and your top end printer manufactures all have robust driver development for Mac platform and has for years since allot of print shops and marketing shops use the Mac platform.

Look guy's, allot of these arguments that are getting posted are based on either complete ignorance of the platform your are comparing your beloved PC's or just not enough experience to know when to access the features your value.

It is perfectly fine to prefer one platform over the other but the level of hatred and ignorance and misinformation displayed by some people on this site is wayyyy out there. I just happen to enjoy Toms Hardware and love technology enough to respond to some of the craziness. I for the life of me do not understand how people can have a argument about something they have never used. Personally, I use both and like them both but I use them for different reasons and prefer overall to use my Mac for most tasks.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]pcCodinFoo[/nom]Those artists that work for apple that you call “engineers”; if they were engineers they would have been able to figure out why the day light savings logic in iOS doesn’t work in the time it takes for two actual day light savings switches to occur. So, does the fact that iOS is still an hour ahead of the rest of the world mean that iOS is the most “advanced” mobile OS there is?No real “engineer” would think a solid aluminum casing was a good idea for the MacBook Pro or the non-removable battery. No real “engineer” sacrifices engineering wisdom in favor of artistic touch even if the almighty steve jobs asks for it himself.Those artists that work for apple that you call “engineers”; if they were engineers they would have been able to figure out why the day light savings logic in iOS doesn’t work in the time it takes for two actual day light savings switches to occur. So, does the fact that iOS is still an hour ahead of the rest of the world mean that iOS is the most “advanced” mobile OS there is?No real “engineer” would think a solid aluminum casing was a good idea for the MacBook Pro or the consequent non-removable battery. No real “engineer” sacrifices engineering wisdom in favor of artistic touch even if the almighty steve jobs asks for it himself.[/citation]

lol, why would an internal battery be a bad thing? Removes the need for connectors and the casing to house the battery. Means they can use a bigger battery. My 15.4 inch Macbook pro with a I am looking at right now and is not fully charge show that it has 9 hours and 15 minutes left for power. Don't remeber any HP/Dell/Alienware you name it getting that. Would you agree that it took some engineering to get that. Method to the madness bro, you might not like it but there is a reason for it.

Solid aluminum, lol your kidding right. Do you have a glass PC case? A steal one? Ahh, you must have a fully carbon fiber case? You actually prefer plastic over solid aluminum? The solid aluminum case sure looks great but I have seen people drop their laptop from several feet off the ground, hit a corner of it , put a huge and I mean huge dent, in it, open it up and keep working and just be pissed that they can't close it all the way because the aluminum was bent out of shape. The stuff looks great and it is sturdy. That is why. Took a few brain cells to figure that out.. Engineering you think?

It is clear that you have no idea what your talking about man. I am sorry but you have switched from OSX to IOS and now you are talking about hardware design and none of which you have any idea of how or why any of it works the way it does.

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Don't be childish. Only a small fraction of Mac OS X is old BSD code.[/citation]
you know, some part of me agrees and some part disagrees. I mean, obviously since it's considered the most widely adopted distribution of BSD, why would any one claim that Apple wrote it? Clearly, BSD means berkley wrote it. If Apple had modified the BSD core significantly, it could no longer be called BSD.

But on the other hand, Apple has added millions of lines of code to it. But, most of those lines have been added in areas where there's debate on if it's actually part of the OS. I for one tend to think GUI programming isn't part of the OS, meaning that Apple has written very little of the actual operating system, but has added a lot of pretty paint to it. But then again, I also do a lot of embedded programming and don't consider myself an OS level programmer, though some would argue that I am doing OS level programming. But I think most can agree that gnome isn't part of the linux operating system, which could be used as basis of an agrument that GUIs aren't OS, thus leveraging that much of Apples work hasn't been in writting an OS.

And lastly, why is it that mac fanbois always talk about a unix core as a good thing? First, no OS today has a unix core. Unix is dead. It's been dead for a while. It's a good thing. If you don't believe me, do some reading about unix. I personally like a book that I'm wishing I could remember the name of. It was written by a guy who I met once through a co-worker, and the basis of the book was how he was personally held responsible for breaking unix. And it goes into the history of how long it took to make unix usable from a basic level. That being said, linux and bsd are unix clones, and have no unix core. It's a good thing.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
You should probab[citation][nom]cyprod[/nom]you know, some part of me agrees and some part disagrees. I mean, obviously since it's considered the most widely adopted distribution of BSD, why would any one claim that Apple wrote it? Clearly, BSD means berkley wrote it. If Apple had modified the BSD core significantly, it could no longer be called BSD.But on the other hand, Apple has added millions of lines of code to it. But, most of those lines have been added in areas where there's debate on if it's actually part of the OS. I for one tend to think GUI programming isn't part of the OS, meaning that Apple has written very little of the actual operating system, but has added a lot of pretty paint to it. But then again, I also do a lot of embedded programming and don't consider myself an OS level programmer, though some would argue that I am doing OS level programming. But I think most can agree that gnome isn't part of the linux operating system, which could be used as basis of an agrument that GUIs aren't OS, thus leveraging that much of Apples work hasn't been in writting an OS.And lastly, why is it that mac fanbois always talk about a unix core as a good thing? First, no OS today has a unix core. Unix is dead. It's been dead for a while. It's a good thing. If you don't believe me, do some reading about unix. I personally like a book that I'm wishing I could remember the name of. It was written by a guy who I met once through a co-worker, and the basis of the book was how he was personally held responsible for breaking unix. And it goes into the history of how long it took to make unix usable from a basic level. That being said, linux and bsd are unix clones, and have no unix core. It's a good thing.[/citation]

You should probably take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Mac_OS_X.

You are correct, Gnome, KDE and the interesting but unpractical Enlightenment (remember that one lol), where X-Windows environments that ran on top of the linux operating system. Worked the same as Sun Solaris interface on top of their unix based operating system. The OSX gui is a bit more integrated although similar in some ways. Development for the Core OS is seperate from the interface but it does not mean that there was no contributions at all to the core OS.

OSX is based on Darwin, the Darwin kernel is a opensource packaged combination of the Mach Kernel and parts of BSD. Mach Kernel was developed by Carnegie Mellon University for parallel computing. BSD obviously from Berkley Which is in part where OSX gets some of it's shared processing capabilities from.

Now that they had a kernel to work from they are able to build the rest of the OS around it. Now you have OSX. Darwin was develop by Apple and NextStep before it. So yes, Apple did write OS code, and OS they also wrote the gui code.

Lets compare and contrast Windows with the above.... remember the deal/SCAM that was made to get DOS. If you look at the history of that deal you might not want to get married put it that way. Did Bill not build Windows on top of DOS? Is there still no remnants of DOS even in Windows 7? Same concept as OSX, Linux and everything else out there. Just a different path. So there is no real debate to be had here.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]rudski[/nom]OS X is a joke.USB drives. When will Apple work out if might want to be compatible with USB drives that had been previously in a windows machine. Only read access.Clap clap.SMB support, where are you? Ohhh thats right, they didn't follow the standard. In certain situations you will only get read only root level access to the SMB share. Still broken in 10.6.6. Go read further into it if you wishPrinter drivers, some drivers do not allow users to switch from color to mono. Poor support for top end xerox printers.If you can't even get the basic's right then you have no right calling yourself advanced anything. OS x please die now[/citation]
The reason you can only open certain usb flash drives in read only mode is because the drive is formatted in NTFS. You can always format the pen drive in fat this way the mac os can read a write on it. It would be convenient if apple enable read and write on ntfs drive, but let's not forget that ntfs is a file system from microsoft. How many file systems does windows understand out of the box?

If you’re having issues with the printer driver then it’s the printer manufacturer that is to blame. Apple has no responsibility towards third party drivers. It's like blaming Windows Vista for all the crashes people had due to buggy nvidia drivers.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I would like to say one thing. If OS X did install on all the same hardware Windows 7 does, then your precious OS X would cost the EXACT SAME AS MICROSOFT's OS.

Windows 7 will win every time and we have a right click. You go ahead an use two hands for something i can do with one. My other hand is jerking me off, while you read this.

sebo2000

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
[citation][nom]pcCodinFoo[/nom]If OS X is the most advanced OS in the world, why can it only run on specific hardware and Windows (any version) citation]
That is what it makes superior, Windows having support all the junk hardware will alwas run slower. MACs are alwasy few years ahead, OXS was introduced few years earlier than W7. Memory maangement is better, Disk managment is better, since it supports jsut few it's own components it is optimized in much better way.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]HavoCnMe[/nom]I would like to say one thing. If OS X did install on all the same hardware Windows 7 does, then your precious OS X would cost the EXACT SAME AS MICROSOFT's OS. Windows 7 will win every time and we have a right click. You go ahead an use two hands for something i can do with one. My other hand is jerking me off, while you read this.[/citation]

lol, yet another really sill comment. Dude, OSX has right click as well, has had it for years. Just buy a logitech mouse or something and click the right mouse button. Even with Apple's mouse you have right click. They have had it on their own mouse devices now for the last 8 years. Not that they could not have it before, their direction was just different. If you wanted the right click menu you had hold the option button down and then click. With a standard mouse you have right click.

Go to Amazon and do a search for OSX Snow Leopard..... $29.00.

Yea, you should probably go back to jerking off.

f-14

Distinguished
the captain is dying and ship is soon to follow and the pirates are starting to bail.
not surprising but iwth the greed displayed by apple i think most of them will suck every last time out of this company while they can

socalboomer

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]lol, yet another really sill comment. Dude, OSX has right click as well, has had it for years. Just buy a logitech mouse or something and click the right mouse button. Even with Apple's mouse you have right click. They have had it on their own mouse devices now for the last 8 years. Not that they could not have it before, their direction was just different. If you wanted the right click menu you had hold the option button down and then click. With a standard mouse you have right click.[/citation]

hold the option button to get a context-menu? always been a hack.
buy a logitech (or ms) mouse to get right-click on a mac? when apple sells a magic mouse? kinds stupid when every other supplier provides a decent two-button mouse with the machine.
apple does do right-click? on their ridiculous and horrid magic mouse? not so much. . .

bender3000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]Aionism- Yes if I remember right- Mao Zedong was also called Chairman. Yes so advanced you can't run half of the stuff on the software market on it. I have yet to hear an Apple fan give me one legitimate reason on how Apple's OSX is more advanced than Windows 7 besides annoying opinionated answers like "its movie editing is better" give me one thing that OSX has that Windows does not and why it would make the operating system more advanced and I might actually give some credit to OSX even though the OS itself isn't even made from scratch but simply based off of Unix.[/citation]

I saw those commercials - Apple's never break or get viruses! Plus they Apple guy is hotter than the PC guy!

/sarcasm

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]socalboomer[/nom]hold the option button to get a context-menu? always been a hack.buy a logitech (or ms) mouse to get right-click on a mac? when apple sells a magic mouse? kinds stupid when every other supplier provides a decent two-button mouse with the machine.apple does do right-click? on their ridiculous and horrid magic mouse? not so much. . .[/citation]

Has not always been a hack. Sorry not the option button it is the command button. It is just how they do it with a single button mouse. Don't like it, buy a traditional mouse. Big deal

Dude, you can right click on the magic mouse as well. Just click the upper right hand corner of the mouse. I mentioned Logitech mouse simply because that I happen to like their stuff. You can use what you want but when you buy a computer from any manufacturer.... the mouse always sucks ass so you end up buying a nice high dpi mouse.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Lol did you really just say that.... seriously. First of all, NTFS which is the filesystem that Windows has been using since uhhhh NT is Windows proprietary and other OS's not just OSX can not write to it when plugged directly in via a USB drive. It has to be formated FAT32 which is supported by everyone. Your statement is like saying Juniper routers suck because they don't support Cisco's proprietary EIGRP routing protocol.[/citation]
This statement is wrong. Linux CAN read and write to NTFS.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]This statement is wrong. Linux CAN read and write to NTFS.[/citation]

Providing that you have the NTFS kernel driver from NTFS.org. Some distros come with it, but there are also some that don't.

Just did some research and it turns out that OS X Snow Leopard has native NTFS read/write support. It is just not enabled by default.

Just have to add the UUID of that volume to the fstab file with rw permissions. Save the file, reboot the box and you have native NTFS Read and Write support.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]lol, why would an internal battery be a bad thing? Removes the need for connectors and the casing to house the battery. Means they can use a bigger battery. My 15.4 inch Macbook pro with a I am looking at right now and is not fully charge show that it has 9 hours and 15 minutes left for power. Don't remeber any HP/Dell/Alienware you name it getting that. Would you agree that it took some engineering to get that. Method to the madness bro, you might not like it but there is a reason for it.[/citation]
Having an internal battery has it's advantages, but also it's disadvantages. One disadvantage is that I can only use that one battery, while with the external battery I can exchange it. Another disadvantage is that in case of battery failure it will be a lot more expensive to fix it, since it's not marketed as an accessory and the laptop must be serviced by apple. Also doesn't HP Elitebook's last more than 20h?
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Solid aluminum, lol your kidding right. Do you have a glass PC case? A steal one? Ahh, you must have a fully carbon fiber case? You actually prefer plastic over solid aluminum? The solid aluminum case sure looks great but I have seen people drop their laptop from several feet off the ground, hit a corner of it , put a huge and I mean huge dent, in it, open it up and keep working and just be pissed that they can't close it all the way because the aluminum was bent out of shape. The stuff looks great and it is sturdy. That is why. Took a few brain cells to figure that out.. Engineering you think?It is clear that you have no idea what your talking about man. I am sorry but you have switched from OSX to IOS and now you are talking about hardware design and none of which you have any idea of how or why any of it works the way it does.[/citation]
Apple wasn't the first to use an aluminum case in a laptop. The aluminum case has it's disadvantages. The most important is heat. The case itself serves as a cooler, so the cooler is made of aluminum, while other manufacturer use copper. So the laptop has a tendency to operate at a much higher temperature. Worse is that since the case is also the cooler the case also becomes very hot. I have this problem with my macbook when I'm running heavy processes, and so do many others. Since plastic is not a good thermal conductor the laptop remains much cooler.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Providing that you have the NTFS kernel driver from NTFS.org. Some distros come with it, but there are also some that don't.Just did some research and it turns out that OS X Snow Leopard has native NTFS read/write support. It is just not enabled by default.Just have to add the UUID of that volume to the fstab file with rw permissions. Save the file, reboot the box and you have native NTFS Read and Write support.[/citation]
The Linux kernel 2.6.0 and up support NTFS read and write out of the box.

tonydu

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Typical press report. Bertrand is being cast as the OS X innovator because Avie left Apple years ago, while Bertrand stuck around. Avie, first at Carnegie-Mellon, then NeXT, then Apple, wrapped UNIX around a MACH microkernel. The innovation was a modern OS kernel with a loadable API that could make it look like UNIX, or Mac, or any other operating system.

So real UNIX source was wrapped around a small, modern OS, with the pluggable API insuring that it was fully UNIX compatible. Of course, Bill quickly hired all the other CMU people that Avie worked with, while issuing press releases about how they were innovating based on DEC influence (yeah, right.) Windows NT was Microsoft's first release based on the MACH microkernel, but with the pluggable API set to emulate the Windows API. So you shouldn't expect the Mac to be much different than Windows.

Of course, things have evolved since then. The real point is that we shouldn't believe the PR machines from corporations.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Having an internal battery has it's advantages, but also it's disadvantages. One disadvantage is that I can only use that one battery, while with the external battery I can exchange it. Another disadvantage is that in case of battery failure it will be a lot more expensive to fix it, since it's not marketed as an accessory and the laptop must be serviced by apple. Also doesn't HP Elitebook's last more than 20h?Apple wasn't the first to use an aluminum case in a laptop. The aluminum case has it's disadvantages. The most important is heat. The case itself serves as a cooler, so the cooler is made of aluminum, while other manufacturer use copper. So the laptop has a tendency to operate at a much higher temperature. Worse is that since the case is also the cooler the case also becomes very hot. I have this problem with my macbook when I'm running heavy processes, and so do many others. Since plastic is not a good thermal conductor the laptop remains much cooler.[/citation]

No HP's Elitebook line does not, it is a line of laptops and not a specific one. There are about 7-8 different models in the Elitebook line. Your missing the point, for a quad core system with 15.4 inch screen, backlite keyboard and everything else in that system to have that kind of battery life it took engineering effort to get there. You don't just slap something together and get those kind of results. Also, why wouldn't you want the manufacturer of your machine service your machine if there is a problem. Dell and HP always serviced my Dell and HP machines. What is your point. If you have the 3 year warranty on your machine which is a smart thing to purchase if you plan on having it for a while especially for business use then the cost replacing the battery is a non issue. Also, even outside the warranty the repair cost are not bad unless you have to replace the screen itself. It is a risk you take if you want to hold onto the laptop for over 4+ years.

Heat is a disadvantage over plastic, I can give you that but laptops from all manufacturers all have tolerance levels of what is considered acceptable in terms of heat. There where cases in the past where peoples legs where getting burned. This happens with a number of manufactures including Apple. The solution, is the build a better cooling system into the laptop and insulate the heat parts of the laptop that are close to or touch the parts that generate the most heat. My company purchased a new MBP for me about 3 months ago. No heat issues at all. Actually runs really cool. My 3 year old MBP however did get a bit hot underneath.

I think the point is in these responses, that there is allot of misinformation, and ignorance, and a huge amount of bash everything Apple without real reasons to do so. Just a bandwagon everyone jumps on.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]No HP's Elitebook line does not, it is a line of laptops and not a specific one. There are about 7-8 different models in the Elitebook line. Your missing the point, for a quad core system with 15.4 inch screen, backlite keyboard and everything else in that system to have that kind of battery life it took engineering effort to get there. You don't just slap something together and get those kind of results. Also, why wouldn't you want the manufacturer of your machine service your machine if there is a problem. Dell and HP always serviced my Dell and HP machines. What is your point. If you have the 3 year warranty on your machine which is a smart thing to purchase if you plan on having it for a while especially for business use then the cost replacing the battery is a non issue. Also, even outside the warranty the repair cost are not bad unless you have to replace the screen itself. It is a risk you take if you want to hold onto the laptop for over 4+ years.[/citation]
I'm not saying that I don't want the manufacturer to service my laptop. But with a removable battery there's no need for the manufacturer to intervene except in selling me a new battery.

[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Heat is a disadvantage over plastic, I can give you that but laptops from all manufacturers all have tolerance levels of what is considered acceptable in terms of heat. There where cases in the past where peoples legs where getting burned. This happens with a number of manufactures including Apple. The solution, is the build a better cooling system into the laptop and insulate the heat parts of the laptop that are close to or touch the parts that generate the most heat. My company purchased a new MBP for me about 3 months ago. No heat issues at all. Actually runs really cool. My 3 year old MBP however did get a bit hot underneath.[/citation]
Like I stated in the other post the aluminum body serves as the cooler so there's no way to insulate the heat. When working normaly I have no heatinh issues but when I do something that pushes both the CPU and the GPU the laptop heats up so badly I almost can't touch it. Contacted Apple Support they say the laptop is operating normally because the temps of the CPU and GPU are withing the safety margins. Albeit almost at the top of the margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts