[SOLVED] Mac won't go into startup manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Referbo

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
Repairing this macbook I have, had a dead logic board and no hdd.

Had another one with a cracked screen no palmrest so I've Frankensteined them together.

It's a macbook pro a1260.

The macbook seems to be ok, turns on, gives white screen,and chimes. Then a picture of a flashing question mark and a folder.

Ok, so no operating system right? I have a USB drive with OSX lion on it,

I am trying to get into startup manager so I can boot from USB to install the OS.

I press option, and it won't let me go into the startup manager!

The hard drive I used was pulled from a PC laptop, is that the problem?

What's going on here

Solution
you cant have the .dmg file only on the usb as that is a disc image and not its content. It is not bootable. You need to extract the contents onto the usb and make a bootable drive. You can probably do this in Disk Utility on the Mac, not sure if there are some comparable program in windows that will do it.

Referbo

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
Ok guys,

SO

1. I'm pretty sure. My friend gave it to me on a cheap chinese thumb drive, says mac osx lion etc, has the picture of a loin, is a .dmg file of about 4.5gb

2. Keyboard isn't it. I tried both option buttons, tried the external keyboard after you told me, no luck.

3. I did a SMC reset, no luck.

psoohoo

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014
you cant have the .dmg file only on the usb as that is a disc image and not its content. It is not bootable. You need to extract the contents onto the usb and make a bootable drive. You can probably do this in Disk Utility on the Mac, not sure if there are some comparable program in windows that will do it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.