[SOLVED] Macbook 2011 won't charge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2018
Hello,

I have a macbook pro late 2011. Recently the power adaptor stopped working. After a month or two i decided to buy a new magsafe 85w. When i got home to try it out it didnt work on the macbook pro, but worked on other macs.

I thought it was dead... until i found on a forum that if you remove the battery, wait 2 minutes and then connect the power adaptor directly the computer should at least turn on.

Problem is that after doing so the light turns on green for a sec... and then off again. Computer don't turn on either.

(I cleaned up the power adaptor connections)

Solution
Yeah, it should work without the battery even connected. Did you examine your MagSafe port to make sure there is no debris or physical obstructions/residue? If so, then you might have a bad magsafe board. Good news is it's a relatively inexpensive and easy part to replace. Bad news is there's always the possibility it's the logic board. I'd start with the magsafe board and see if that resolves it. Apple won't repair your 2011 system anymore, but there are a number of Apple authorized service providers you can bring it to.
Jun 3, 2018
The charger works fine on other computers, i have not tried to replace the battery... but shouldn't it work even with the battery off? Because that is not the case.
The charger doesn't turn any light on

Jun 1, 2018
Yeah, it should work without the battery even connected. Did you examine your MagSafe port to make sure there is no debris or physical obstructions/residue? If so, then you might have a bad magsafe board. Good news is it's a relatively inexpensive and easy part to replace. Bad news is there's always the possibility it's the logic board. I'd start with the magsafe board and see if that resolves it. Apple won't repair your 2011 system anymore, but there are a number of Apple authorized service providers you can bring it to.

Solution

Hoetan

Commendable
Jul 24, 2017

Whenever the charger light stops turning on for me, I just fiddle around with the charger and try putting it in different ways and THEN the light turns on.

Jun 1, 2018
Did you also try performing an SMC reset? If your laptop has a removable battery, try removing the battery and pressing the power button to discharge any residual power from the system. Then re-insert the battery and attempt charging again. If your MacBook does not have a removable battery, then with the charger CONNECTED, do the following key command on the keyboard: hold down the Shift+Control+Option keys and the Power button at the same time. Release all keys and the power button at the same time. You should see the MagSafe light flicker from orange to green, but that doesn't always occur. Try a couple times to be sure, then attempt re-charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.