[SOLVED] MacBook Air M1 or a Windows laptop for data science ?

Hi
My knowledge in software is pretty much 0
I'm an economics major, I picked CS (Programming in Python) as an elective. I already have a Windows desktop PC, but for when colleges reopen, I might have to take a laptop there.

I have a few options, the most powerful (plus a nice little $150 student discount) is the MacBook Air M1 (256GB). It's faster than the 4700U Zenbook in the same price range, CPU and GPU wise. I need it for data science learning and python learning and I don't intend to upgrade/buy new in the next 4-5 years.

Is the MacBook good at data science and python and stuff since it's not Windows? This maybe dumb but i have no idea at all. Thanks!

Solution
Sounds good.
If you think you can pick up the OS quick, and you'll be able to run all the applications, and you don't mind the price then the new M1 Macbook Air is definitely a great Mac laptop.
Have you used a Mac OS previously? If not, the learning curve may not be something you want to tackle, in addition to your studies. The new Macbook Air seems great (although overpriced).
Whatever you get, make sure it can run all the programs you will need for your classes BEFORE you buy it.

Have you used a Mac OS previously? If not, the learning curve may not be something you want to tackle, in addition to your studies. The new Macbook Air seems great (although overpriced).
Whatever you get, make sure it can run all the programs you will need for your classes BEFORE you buy it.
No i have not used one before. But I like to think I'm a quick learner when it comes to stuff like this.

"overpriced" I guess that's really not the case where I live. For the same price inclusive of the student discount on MacBook, most I can get in an ultrabook is 1135G_ or 4500U. Both get destroyed by M1.

I will have to check for individual programs, thanks!