MacBook Pro 13-inch and 15-inch Teardown by iFixit

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Bauer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
I do admit, it'd be cool to own a Macbook Pro- not because of functionality, but because it'd be a novelty... And when the novelty wears off in 4-8 months, you can sell it for the same price you bought it for. Apple products to retain an extreme amount of resale value after all...

My body is ready

I'm pretty sure this is because Apple makes it virtually impossible to tell how old a Macbook is. You have to remove the battery, read a model number underneath, and look it up on the Apple website to figure out what year it was made and what internal components it has. With the newer models with the non-removable battery, you have to type in your serial number into their website to get the model number.

When my cousin was shopping for a Mac at his school's Apple store, he was nearly tricked by this into buying a "new" Core 2 Duo Macbook when the current models were Sandy Bridge based. Fortunately he called me first. I was able to instruct him on where to find the model number, and we figured out the laptop was 3-year old inventory the store was trying to clear at a "huge" $200 discount.

Make it near-impossible to tell how old a laptop is, and combine it with a userbase which is mostly computer illiterate, and yeah it'll hold its "value". Because most of the buyers think the 3-year old laptop they're buying is last year's model. My morals prohibit me from ripping off a buyer in this way, but if you don't have a problem with it then go ahead and enjoy the better resale "value".

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013

I guess you have never heard about business class laptops like thinkpads.

John Bauer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

Not as bad as the "Genius'" over at Apple stores who'd wipe your hard drive for fun.

Spooderman

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

Are you.... Are you kidding? I can open up my crappy Dell laptop and insert more RAM, a new hard drive, replace the battery....Why would you even make a statement like that?

John Bauer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

He's never actually used a laptop before, me thinks.

Quality they used Glue.

In My time I have looked and many Apple products.
From laptops to I phones, I pads and Ipods.

I have fixed more laptops and other devices, than any Apple product.
The reason why Apple devices are hard to open and, have limited upgrade options is to reduce the cycle time or life of it`s use.

Apple want you in there club but are also playing a game of chase me.
They state innovation, it is the exact opposite.

Is it Innovative to create a device with such little options for the user to up grade it`s memory capacity, hard drive or SSD size.
Not for them. That is why you create a fixed or part fixed device.
Limit it`s life and use.
The glue keeps the production cost down, plain and simple.
Keeps the case design, cheaper to make, less fixings.

People may love there Apple devices, once you see the contents and how they are built you soon see, how people who buy them are getting shafted.

You can see the intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.