MacBook pro 16po vs other laptop

Mar 20, 2020
I'd like to buy a laptop for about $1500. I saw the MacBook pro 16" for the same price and wondered about the difference in power between the Mac and a $1500 laptop. I don't like the fun aspect of a laptop and I'd like to have one that I could easily carry everywhere without being frowned upon. So, is the Macbook a good option or should I look for another laptop instead? Thank you.

Another laptop meaning another Apple laptop or a Windows laptop? Since they two systems are very different the first thing you need to sort out is if you want an Apple or a Windows system for what you need to use it for. I will tell you for just performance, a Windows laptop for the same price will be faster. No idea what you mean "carry everywhere without being frowned upon", unless you cover your laptop with dog crap or swing it around like a mace who would be upset you are carrying a laptop of any brand?

If you like to hang around people in coffee shops that talk about which one of them visited more countries with their lawyer boyfriend or how vegan they are and complain that the latte is not being made fast enough, then you probably want to go with a MacBook. Aside from that, does not really matter and you should go by what you want the thing for and if you like spending money on bling or function.

I'd like to buy a laptop for about $1500. I saw the MacBook pro 16" for the same price and wondered about the difference in power between the Mac and a $1500 laptop. I don't like the fun aspect of a laptop and I'd like to have one that I could easily carry everywhere without being frowned upon. So, is the Macbook a good option or should I look for another laptop instead? Thank you.
It depends what you want out if a laptop.

MacOS destroys windows in stability and just usability. Windows destroys MacOS in gaming and just software compatibility.

Personally I would always take a MacBook if you don’t need windows or an nvidia GPU for example.

Tell us what you want it for and we can help.

“No idea what you mean "carry everywhere without being frowned upon", unless you cover your laptop with dog crap or swing it around like a mace who would be upset you are carrying a laptop of any brand?

If you like to hang around people in coffee shops that talk about which one of them visited more countries with their lawyer boyfriend or how vegan they are and complain that the latte is not being made fast enough, then you probably want to go with a MacBook. Aside from that, does not really matter and you should go by what you want the thing for and if you like spending money on bling or function.”

Is not helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Like_Nat and mkaafy
Another laptop meaning another Apple laptop or a Windows laptop? Since they two systems are very different the first thing you need to sort out is if you want an Apple or a Windows system for what you need to use it for. I will tell you for just performance, a Windows laptop for the same price will be faster. No idea what you mean "carry everywhere without being frowned upon", unless you cover your laptop with dog crap or swing it around like a mace who would be upset you are carrying a laptop of any brand?

If you like to hang around people in coffee shops that talk about which one of them visited more countries with their lawyer boyfriend or how vegan they are and complain that the latte is not being made fast enough, then you probably want to go with a MacBook. Aside from that, does not really matter and you should go by what you want the thing for and if you like spending money on bling or function.
If you bring in a 17” gaming laptop that sounds like a jet engine and is about 1ft thick i you will be frowned upon, a lot of laptops also don’t look good in a meeting for example.

Reactions: Like_Nat

firelighter487

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
what about if you need to use Logiuc Pro or Final Cut? what if you dislike Windows? what if you already have other Apple devices and want a computer that fits in the ecosystem?

there are loads of valid reasons to use a Mac, please don't be so toxic.

what about if you need to use Logiuc Pro or Final Cut? what if you dislike Windows? what if you already have other Apple devices and want a computer that fits in the ecosystem?

there are loads of valid reasons to use a Mac, please don't be so toxic.

Yep lots of things an Apple can do but without any info what it's being used for, 1500 is 1500. Without a simple preference for Apple stuff or some software that runs only on a Mac a Windows system will beat it for price to performance. A lot of times people go with Apple to use it as much as an accessory as for the function, like a fancy purse, it's a lifestyle pick more so than a Windows system. So if someone is looking for that type of thing, then a Mac would be fine for them not counting anything else.

Yep lots of things an Apple can do but without any info what it's being used for, 1500 is 1500. Without a simple preference for Apple stuff or some software that runs only on a Mac a Windows system will beat it for price to performance. A lot of times people go with Apple to use it as much as an accessory as for the function, like a fancy purse, it's a lifestyle pick more so than a Windows system. So if someone is looking for that type of thing, then a Mac would be fine for them not counting anything else.
I don't need a £2300 MacBook pro, I could have bought as surface laptop or G5 for less. I paid that mainly due to MacOS absolutely melting W10 as an OS. plus I'm looking at getting into coding (MacOS is better), I don't want to pay a subscription for office, I have an iPhone, Apple Music etc. If I want to dabble with music I can get Logic, if I want to do some editing of a family video I can use iMovie or if that doesn't have enough grunt I can buy FC and all of the software I own I'm not paying a subscription for, I can download it on any future Mac or my Fiancées air. I don't have to worry about the newest intel vulnerability because of the T2 chip. They are overall better machines for usability just down to software. And you can quote spec sheets all day long I will just laugh at you when your 10 hour render on your wall powered jet engine crashes on you when it's 80% done.

firelighter487

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
you were suggesting that Mac's are only good for hanging out in a Starbucks, which is not true.

I don't need a £2300 MacBook pro, I could have bought as surface laptop or G5 for less. I paid that mainly due to MacOS absolutely melting W10 as an OS.
THIS. macOS is so nice to use!

I don't have to worry about the newest intel vulnerability because of the T2 chip.
that is not true. the T2 only does drive encryption and some other things, it does nothing with the intel cpu or the way it handles memory, which is what most intel vulnerabilities target.

you were suggesting that Mac's are only good for hanging out in a Starbucks, which is not true.

THIS. macOS is so nice to use!

that is not true. the T2 only does drive encryption and some other things, it does nothing with the intel cpu or the way it handles memory, which is what most intel vulnerabilities target.
The most recent “unpatchable” one that allows access to encrypted files on the drive before intels chip does the encryption on boot is blocked by the T2 chip :) did mean just that one, apple did patch spectre and meltdown before it was revealed though which is more that Microsoft did.

firelighter487

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
The most recent “unpatchable” one that allows access to encrypted files on the drive before intels chip does the encryption on boot is blocked by the T2 chip :) did mean just that one, apple did patch spectre and meltdown before it was revealed though which is more that Microsoft did.
ah that makes sense. yeah Microsoft didn't do <Mod Edit>. some of the vulnerabilities are there if you have hyper threading on, that's something even Apple can't patch, but yeah...

Last edited by a moderator: