MacBooks Best Laptops, Says Consumer Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Lol yeah that is odd 13 inch and lower makes sence only a small price diff but the best is a $2000 laptop then the next best is at 700 lol that just looks bad.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I own both Mac and PC laptops and desktops. Users that rated the products made an overall estimation which includes both hardware and operating system. I think that the satisfaction rate is mainly due to OS X and not hardware oriented. If the later was true then Macbook white would be very low (manufacturing quality and lcd quality are at least subpar) but OS X feels responsive and does not contain preinstalled laptop bloatware.

I would comment this report as misleading in a way.
Apple's jewel is OS X and they are just capitalizing on that ace to boost hardware sales

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I love my Macbook Unibody and I absolutely hate all OEM desktops, I always build my systems.

As for PC laptops, the only brand I go with is ASUS since it's a meld between hardware quality and Windows. However, the Macbook Unibody is the icing with the LED backlit screen and the multitouch trackpad, it makes it very worth it since the multitouch trackpad is nowhere to be found on other laptops and makes work so much more efficient.

Apple fixed manufacturing issues with the unibody Macbook. Heck, the only reason why I got the unibody Macbook was because Apple replaced my old white Macbook for free due to constant defects.

lire210

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
i really don't see how much better os x is my sister labtop.
it doesn't run faster because you can just get better hardware from a pc.
it doesn't run games.
it cost so much more.
so why is it being rated so much better

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Apple doesn't skimp on their products, which is part of the reason they are so much more expensive.

I was considering a small iFruitBook for my travel machine, since I wasn't expecting to do much with it but surf the net and view photos. Then I decided I needed to run our CAD software on it so I got serious and bought a Dell Latitude instead.

I'm not sure the people at consumer reports are smart enough to know what it means to be objective. What they write sounds good, until you find an article they wrote about products that you really know about and then you discover that maybe they don't know much after all.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
The consumer report makes these reports based on the 'average consumers', who have been proven time and time again completely illiterate in terms of technology awareness.

This is the idiots guide to the best laptop.

hallic7

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
OMG!!! I think that while the Consumer Report was being made we all hardware enthusiasts where at home busy reading tom's hardware!!

For me (and people who read and are well informed about hardware) is crystal clear that mac is just a "cool"(yeah right!) and overpriced option...

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Damn.......... people get stupider with each friggin' generation.

I mean how the.... just wow. I think I might go emo now... (not really)

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]deltatux[/nom]I love my Macbook Unibody and I absolutely hate all OEM desktops, I always build my systems.As for PC laptops, the only brand I go with is ASUS since it's a meld between hardware quality and Windows. However, the Macbook Unibody is the icing with the LED backlit screen and the multitouch trackpad, it makes it very worth it since the multitouch trackpad is nowhere to be found on other laptops and makes work so much more efficient.Apple fixed manufacturing issues with the unibody Macbook. Heck, the only reason why I got the unibody Macbook was because Apple replaced my old white Macbook for free due to constant defects.[/citation]

Constant defects? I though macs were the uber bestest thing evar? LOL.

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]Humans think[/nom]I own both Mac and PC laptops and desktops. Users that rated the products made an overall estimation which includes both hardware and operating system. I think that the satisfaction rate is mainly due to OS X and not hardware oriented. If the later was true then Macbook white would be very low (manufacturing quality and lcd quality are at least subpar) but OS X feels responsive and does not contain preinstalled laptop bloatware. I would comment this report as misleading in a way.Apple's jewel is OS X and they are just capitalizing on that ace to boost hardware sales[/citation]

Good try. OS X is UNIX. Let me know when Apple makes their own OS...oh wait they tried, it was called OS 9 and it blew goats...thats why they went to UNIX.

But really good try though.

erloas

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
I don't think I've ever found a Consumer Reports report actually useful as a consumer. I've checked them a few times and I have yet to find anything that helps me actually make a purpose. (cars, TVs, a few other minor thigns)

As for this particular incident, its clear that price was a very low factor in their rating system. The fact that a supposedly similiar system that is rated only slightly worse but costs half as much I think says a lot too.

Like who would buy a car, even if it got a perfect 100 score, if it was 60-80k compared to the 20-40k of its primary competitors.

emyyhh

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
I have an Apple powerbook laptop as well as a custom-built pc gaming rig. One has an i7, the other, a G4. If I were to buy another laptop it would be a mac, even at the sub £1000 price point i'd still rather have a mac. Desktop - pc wins hands down, far better hardware.

Despite the raging fanboism Apple do make better laptops. If you're after a gaming monster then build yourself a pc, don't buy one. If your using a laptop to 'game' on then your either a few screws loose, or you have way too much cash to throw around.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]emyyhh[/nom]I have an Apple powerbook laptop as well as a custom-built pc gaming rig. One has an i7, the other, a G4. If I were to buy another laptop it would be a mac, even at the sub £1000 price point i'd still rather have a mac. Desktop - pc wins hands down, far better hardware. Despite the raging fanboism Apple do make better laptops. If you're after a gaming monster then build yourself a pc, don't buy one. If your using a laptop to 'game' on then your either a few screws loose, or you have way too much cash to throw around.[/citation]
You qualify for the "dumb" award. So you just admitted you would buy something with less power, for 1000$ more. Just because?

.... epic fail

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Whatever. Compare premium, pretty laptops, against premium, pretty laptops.

Its fair to compare a SAMSUNG X360 against a Macbook air, but would be ridiculous to pit the Air against a 700 dollar HP.

Look at the comparisions... in the 14-16" models tested, we're comparing a 700 dollar Toshiba against a 2000 dollar macbook. Consumer reports doesn't compare a 40k Infinity against a 20k Hyundai, because if they did this with Cars, people would laugh at them...

But, you know what?

HA HA HA. Fucking morons.

Status
Not open for further replies.