Discussion Macgo Mac Blu-ray Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Bluray3D-2.jpg

The Macgo Blu-ray Player

The Macgo Mac Blu-ray Player Finally Brings Blu-ray Disc Playback to OS X

The Mac Blu-ray Player from Macgo will read a Blu-ray disc from an attached drive and play it in Mac OS X. It works and it's the only option currently for Blu-ray playback on the Mac, but there are tradeoffs for the convenience.

First of all, the app requires that you be online at all times while watching a movie. Macworld called the app out for this specifically and noted that while the developers cite "technical limitations" for this, the reality is that the software can't decode the copy-protection on the Blu-ray disc in real time. That may not be a big deal for some people, but it definitely eliminates firing the app up on a long flight.

Still, Mac Blu-ray player seems to work, even if it's brand new and not quite polished. The price tag is $39.99 for a "life-time version," according to Macgo, which implies there may be a subscription cost if the app takes off. You can download and try it for free for 30 days before being prompted to pay for the app.

http://www.macblurayplayer.com/features.htm

:hello: Comments Welcome !

I cant tell if this is spam or not...

The only option? No.

Mplayer and VLC with libaacs and libbluray can play back bluray.
There is also payware MakeMKV that can decode bluray.

KellyAVDesign

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

A51R, Did you actually get this software to work? Did you test it? My frustrating experience (Jan 2012) has been that MacGo's Mac Blu-ray Player (v1.11.0.0728 and v1.11.1.0746) will not work on any Mac I have tried it on. Same problem every time, it begins playback, identifies the disc and then hangs. Jenky software and customer service from MacGo in keeping with their sketchy looking hack-grammer website.

KellyAVDesign

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Hi Skittle,

Can you point me to more info? How does one get VLC to play bluray? ie., how do you implement libaacs and libbluray with VLC? What is the procedure to enable all that to work?
MPlayer - that looks like software with a 2005 last update. How will that work to play bluray?

I have had success with MakeMKV decoding the bluray and creating an MKV that VLC plays quite nicely. But what I am looking for is a software solution whereby you play the bluray directly from the disc and see the movie on the screen, and hopefully see the menu as well.

Thanks in advance for help & ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.