Question MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION because of incompatible motherboard and CPU?

Aug 27, 2019
I've made a previous post here about a machine check exception error I get about twice a week. I have tried many things that one would suggest doing to troubleshoot this issue (memtest, bios update, bios reset, temperature tests, storage tests, PSU voltage analysis, windows reinstall) and the crashes still occur. However, it was just brought to my attention that my motherboard (which is an ASUS Z390-A on bios vers. 1201) does not have my CPU (which is an Intel Core i5-9600K) on its compatibility list on the ASUS website. This confused me however because I've seen bundle deals on amazon with this same combination. Could this be the cause of these occasional MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION 0x0000009c blue screen errors, and if so, should I switch to a CPU on the compatibility list?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hi KStew, apologies I did not notice on the previous one the issue wasn't solved yet.

The compatibility isn't an issue, if the CPU wasn't compatible with the board, it simply wouldn't POST, not boot and then encounter a stop error. Could you upload the latest dump file?

I would also be tempted to run Intel Processor Diagnostic tool and verify if it finds any CPU failures.
The memtest came back all clear too?

Just posting your specs from previous post for others:
Intel Core i5-9600k
Corsair H100i CPU cooler
ASUS Prime Z390-A
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) 3000Hz
WD NVMe SSD 500GB
Samsung QVO SSD 1TB
MSI GeForce RTX 2070
Corsair RMx 750 W 80+ Gold
Windows 10 64-bit
BIOS Vers. 1105

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: digitalgriffin
Hi KStew, apologies I did not notice on the previous one the issue wasn't solved yet.

The compatibility isn't an issue, if the CPU wasn't compatible with the board, it simply wouldn't boot, not boot and then encounter a stop error. Could you upload the latest dump file?

I would also be tempted to run Intel Processor Diagnostic tool and verify if it finds any CPU failures.

Intel Core i5-9600k
Corsair H100i CPU cooler
ASUS Prime Z390-A
WD NVMe SSD 500GB
Samsung QVO SSD 1TB
MSI GeForce RTX 2070
Windows 10 64-bit
BIOS Vers. 1105

Intel processor diagnostic for sure would be the next step.

Aug 27, 2019

The compatibility isn't an issue, if the CPU wasn't compatible with the board, it simply wouldn't boot, not boot and then encounter a stop error. Could you upload the latest dump file?

Intel Core i5-9600k
Corsair H100i CPU cooler
ASUS Prime Z390-A
WD NVMe SSD 500GB
Samsung QVO SSD 1TB
MSI GeForce RTX 2070
Windows 10 64-bit
BIOS Vers. 1105
Here are the dump files
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Alofdnbcga8iuh_3z4ibZSCQlrQu

And yes the memtest came back clear the few times I ran it, although it was not run for many passes. I suppose I could let it run for a couple hours and report back with the results. I'll do the same with the Intel Diagnostic Tool. Thank you.

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Asides normal kernel modules the intelppm module was the first module to load when the MCE occurred. So whilst this doesn't necessarily mean that the CPU is to fault, I would definitely be running the Intel Processor Diagnostic tool to try and see.

It will be worth noting that no software solution guarantees a solution, the only way of really testing is trying new hardware. But the software can be great indicators.

As for memtest you'll want to run it for at least 4 passes.

Aug 27, 2019
Asides normal kernel modules the intelppm module was the first module to load when the MCE occurred. So whilst this doesn't necessarily mean that the CPU is to fault, I would definitely be running the Intel Processor Diagnostic tool to try and see.

It will be worth noting that no software solution guarantees a solution, the only way of really testing is trying new hardware. But the software can be great indicators.

As for memtest you'll want to run it for at least 4 passes.
What pieces of hardware would you recommend trying to replace? I have opened warranty tickets for my CPU, motherboard, and RAM, should this be enough? Also, I just ran the Intel Diagnostic Tool and these are the results, everything seemed to pass:
https://1drv.ms/t/s!Alofdnbcga8iuwhl9gtLoKbopGKx

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What pieces of hardware would you recommend trying to replace? I have opened warranty tickets for my CPU, motherboard, and RAM, should this be enough? Also, I just ran the Intel Diagnostic Tool and these are the results, everything seemed to pass:
https://1drv.ms/t/s!Alofdnbcga8iuwhl9gtLoKbopGKx
Have you tried running without the GPU and running on integrated too?