Question Macrium help?

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
I'm trying to clone my win10 system from my laptop to desktop's SSD hd. It's the free 8version. The first sight shows the source, paritiond and all, and it keeps using the word "disk" as it asks me from which disk to which disk. I am not trying to do a clone to a disk, I just wnat macrium to copy my win 10 to a usb drive and insert that info to my desktop. How do i get MACrium to do that, or if it can?

USAFRet

Titan
I'm trying to clone my win10 system from my laptop to desktop's SSD hd. It's the free 8version. The first sight shows the source, paritiond and all, and it keeps using the word "disk" as it asks me from which disk to which disk. I am not trying to do a clone to a disk, I just wnat macrium to copy my win 10 to a usb drive and insert that info to my desktop. How do i get MACrium to do that, or if it can?
Insert it into the desktop, for what use?

USAFRet

Titan
To install my win 10 clone on my desktop
This will fail for multiple reasons.

You can't take the laptop OS and put it in a desktop and expect it to work
You can't create a Windows install from an already installed OS
If you got this 'clone' onto the flash drive, then what would you do with it?

If you're just trying to install Windows on the desktop, this:

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
I've read the tutorial and itn explains the difficulties of installing win 10 on a SSD hd. I've tried at least a dozen of times to iinstall with the medial creation tool and all i get is the audio of the cortana voice , no system at all. Do a search here and u can see what i have encountered by some of the moderators...so then i thought maybe cloning a system may work and Google says it can be done..is Google wrong????

USAFRet

Titan
I've read the tutorial and itn explains the difficulties of installing win 10 on a SSD hd. I've tried at least a dozen of times to iinstall with the medial creation tool and all i get is the audio of the cortana voice , no system at all. Do a search here and u can see what i have encountered by some of the moderators...so then i thought maybe cloning a system may work and Google says it can be done..is Google wrong????
"is Google wrong? " is a question that has no meaning.
Google will provide links that are related to whatever you put int he text box.

If you said "Can I clone a system?"
Google would provide a LOT of links to tools to do that, and probably some tutorials.

But if you had instead entered: "Can I clone my laptop OS to a flash drive and run my desktop from that, or use that to install a Windows OS in the desktop?"....google would have returned nothing, because you can't do that.

Very much of an X/Y problem.
Cloning has nothing to do with this.

From your previous threads, you're having an issue installing Windows to your desktop, correct?

To start, please give us a FULL list of all the parts in this system.
Secondly, the exact steps you take to install this, and exactly where it fails.

USAFRet

Titan
Another example of google + X/Y Problems...

Q: "Whenever I bake a chocolate cake, it comes out wrong. What are some good cake recipes?"

Google will happily give you dozens of cake recipes. Most of them good.

But, the question you should have asked is:
Q: "Whenever I bake a chocolate cake, it comes out wrong. My oven does not get to the required 350 degrees. How do I get my oven fixed?"

Which leads to a completely different result set from google.
There was nothing wrong with the recipe you were using, or google. The oven was the problem.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
Please, i explained all of my efforts in one of these posts in this thread. I hate being repetitive. The one thing i may add since is that for some reason its difficult to install win 10 on a SSD drive. I haven't tried it yet, but one possibility may be is to change bios to the legacy mode. As for my desktop system ... it is a build unit, no OS , 8Gigabytes of ram, with a 7 year old MB, A88X-Pro Ausu. BTW, i had win 10 prior, since it was offered free with updates, but on a sata HD...until it crashed with the October update.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Please, i explained all of my efforts in one of these posts in this thread. I hate being repetitive. The one thing i may add since is that for some reason its difficult to install win 10 on a SSD drive. I haven't tried it yet, but one possibility may be is to change bios to the legacy mode. As for my desktop system ... it is a build unit, no OS , 8Gigabytes of ram, with a 7 year old MB, A88X-Pro Ausu. BTW, i had win 10 prior, since it was offered free with updates, but on a sata HD...until it crashed with the October update.
It is no more difficult installing WIn 10 to an SSD than it is to an HDD.

In any case, this 'clone' thing is not the solution.

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
Connect the USB stick on the laptop, right click on it and go to properties. Choose the 'hardware' tab, select the USB stick from the list and click on the properties button bellow. On the 'volumes' tab click the 'populate' button. It should fill the 'disk information' list or reopen the same window in which case you repeat the same step. If it says 'Partition Style: GUID' you're good, if it says 'MBR' try another stick. Also make sure the stick you use for the installer is empty when you put the installer in (preferably format it). Installing Windows is a very simple process overall unless you are doing something wrong like using an older installer in a newer system that rejects it or a corrupted installer. My suggestion is to use a different USB stick and redownload the installer on it.

If you are hearing the voice after Win 10 setup, that means Windows was actually installed since that is the part where it finishes the system with naming it, joining it to a network, etc... Are you not getting a display on the screen at this point? I read your other post from Nov about the issue and it's not very clear exactly how you are doing the setup. You created a USB stick correct? Booted off it and started the setup on the computer? Then when it's done you should have a system at the getting Windows ready section or what exactly is happening?

The procedure to install Windows on an SSD sata drive instead of a platter drive is exactly the same. The differences may be for some newer motherboards and disk types that some Windows setups don't have drivers for.

Last edited:

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
If you are hearing the voice after Win 10 setup, that means Windows was actually installed since that is the part where it finishes the system with naming it, joining it to a network, etc... Are you not getting a display on the screen at this point? I read your other post from Nov about the issue and it's not very clear exactly how you are doing the setup. You created a USB stick correct? Booted off it and started the setup on the computer? Then when it's done you should have a system at the getting Windows ready section or what exactly is happening?

The procedure to install Windows on an SSD sata drive instead of a platter drive is exactly the same. The differences may be for some newer motherboards and disk types that some Windows setups don't have drivers for.
Yes, I did all that you say here...step by step. It seems to finish at the first reboot which it warms me that it is going to reboot. After that i have no idea what to expect...i waited and waited and finally reboot on my own and yes i hear, do not see Cortana's voice, and never saw the viewable part of win 10. Is there some secret button i have to press to see if i actually got Win 10????

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
I haven't read the guide because i already knew how to do it so i don't know if it mentions it but did you remove the USB stick when it rebooted? When it says that its rebooting at the end of the installation, you have to remove the stick to avoid conflicts.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
I haven't read the guide because i already knew how to do it so i don't know if it mentions it but did you remove the USB stick when it rebooted? When it says that its rebooting at the end of the installation, you have to remove the stick to avoid conflicts.
I have tried all combinations as you describe....yes, at one time I thought i had to leave in, inorder to finish...but that being the case, the program would or should tell you that as it does when it warns you that it was going to reboot, so i also removed the stick when it did warn me about the reboot and still only get the vocal Cortana.

Yes, I did all that you say here...step by step. It seems to finish at the first reboot which it warms me that it is going to reboot. After that i have no idea what to expect...i waited and waited and finally reboot on my own and yes i hear, do not see Cortana's voice, and never saw the viewable part of win 10. Is there some secret button i have to press to see if i actually got Win 10????

If you don't see the screen that means the video was not working for some reason. Check to make sure your video connections are in the right place, if you are using an add-on card the video connection should be in that.