Question Macrium Reflect: moving data

Mac029

Reputable
Feb 26, 2019
Going to image just a partition using Macrium Reflect ver 7 free. Want to restore about 55 GB of a 230 GB partition to 400 GB of unallocated space on an SSD. This is not the OS disc. I've already restored other data to a new partition on the SSD. Will this 2nd restore wipe the other data? Will it default to restoring to 230 GB size?

Will the order of these partitions 'list' differently in MR if I rename the partition letters?

Finally, if the new partition is too large and I can't resize in MR I should be able to use W10's Disk Management to resize.

Thanks for any interest,

Mac

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Going to image just a partition using Macrium Reflect ver 7 free. Want to restore about 55 GB of a 230 GB partition to 400 GB of unallocated space on an SSD. This is not the OS disc. I've already restored other data to a new partition on the SSD. Will this 2nd restore wipe the other data? Will it default to restoring to 230 GB size?

Will the order of these partitions 'list' differently in MR if I rename the partition letters?

Finally, if the new partition is too large and I can't resize in MR I can should be able to use W10's Disk Management to resize.

Thanks for any interest,

Mac
Unsure of what you're actually wanting to do.

Move a partition from one physical drive to another?
And this is NOT the OS drive?

Please clarify.
Preferably, with screencaps of your Disk Management window.

I just took a look at the 400 page Macrium user guide. I didn't see a specific reference about restoring to unallocated space.

It may work fine....never tried it.

I'd be inclined to format the 400 GB unallocated and then simply restore H to that.

Your source H partition is in a logical drive. That MIGHT be a problem, but I did not see any indication of that in the user guide.

Mac029

Reputable
Feb 26, 2019
Thank you Lafong, SkyNetRiing and USAFRet. The main reason I rely on imaging is MR's verify image option. I'll have to look into Minitool.

I'll give this a go using MR's imaging and if it overwrites the other partition I'll start over. Possibly using something else.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you Lafong, SkyNetRiing and USAFRet. The main reason I rely on imaging is MR's verify image option. I'll have to look into Minitool.

I'll give this a go using MR's imaging and if it overwrites the other partition I'll start over. Possibly using something else.
One of the reasons I use MR as well.

I think it could be done with the drives as you have now.

I know it could be done if you were to create a valid partition in that currently unused space.

Mac029

Reputable
Feb 26, 2019
Wanted to update anyone interested. I found using the free ver 7 Macrium Reflect that I could only restore an image of one partition to the entire drive. Maybe the paid ver allows restore to a partition, so you could do that multiple times.

I was surprised to find after imaging my entire HDD, and restoring to the non-OS SSD, that the default settings did not delete a previous restore of one partition. It simply used the remaining available space (formatted space).

By default it writes only used clusters so my 2nd SSD now has my two partitions - automatically restored much smaller - and I deleted a previously restored "duplicate" partition. Then I simply renamed drive letters.

These links may be useful for those trying to simply move data, who need the 'verify' option vs. cloning:

http://updates.macrium.com/help/v5/how_to/restore/restore_partitions_with_resize_and_reorder.htm

https://forum.macrium.com/3908/Can-...-partitions-when-restoring-to-a-smaller-drive

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Modifying+restored+paritition+properties

Cheers.