Mad Mod Mikes Pimping Challenge:

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Can mike do it ?

• Mad Mod Mike can do anything !, He can do it, Come on mike !

Votes: 21 100.0%
  • There are sound and well documented reasons why he can not meet this challenge, even if he has the h

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Mike - I've got one thing to say to you:

You owe everything to Intel with what you so love today; If it wasnt for Intel making a micrprocessor in the first place,.. AMD would never have entered the microprocessor business and it'd still be making carpet. Because the owner of AMD at the time was a carpet maker. He decided to switch businesses after seeing what Intel was doing.

As much as you trash Intel and hate them (and they may have products that are currently inferior to AMD) - be gad they are what they are. It could a whole lot worse for AMD.

This is in no way an attack on you. This is someone pointing out ceratin undeniable facts.

Hmm...somebody doesn't know the history of Intel & AMD apart from google.com :roll:.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Mike - I've got one thing to say to you:

You owe everything to Intel with what you so love today; If it wasnt for Intel making a micrprocessor in the first place,.. AMD would never have entered the microprocessor business and it'd still be making carpet. Because the owner of AMD at the time was a carpet maker. He decided to switch businesses after seeing what Intel was doing.

As much as you trash Intel and hate them (and they may have products that are currently inferior to AMD) - be gad they are what they are. It could a whole lot worse for AMD.

This is in no way an attack on you. This is someone pointing out ceratin undeniable facts.

In that case, don't both companies owe everything to IBM for making the 8086 way back when??

I am simply amazed as to how young people are now that build computers. It wasn't until I was almost 10 years older that I built my first one. My first computer was a laptop that I got about four years ago, and if there are few barebones laptops available today, there were NONE back then. So I suppose I would have built my first unit at 17 years old instead of 21 if I hadn't needed a laptop when I headed off to college. But still, there is a lot of difference between 17 and 11.

I might have had a couple hundred dollars to my name when I was 11, and a mediocre computer was about $1500 or so ten years ago. I was told by some of the old sages that that time period is when people really started to build machines thenselves as the parts became common and cheap enough and the drivers, etc. became more readily available via the Internet. It is really pretty simple today with all of the resources available as far as retailers and sites such as this one, but I am still amazed that an 11-year-old either has enough money to build his/her own or their parents trust them enough to do so. Maybe the times have just changed.

glasssplinter

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I find this post hilarious! (not support either side, just a fan of the bantering)
Kind of like those volkswagon commericals (that play here atleast) where they show the "wanna-be G's" with their hot "pimped" cars, then sie germans find some witty comment and way to destroy their car with a GTI
V-Dub ba U representing on da curb! Let's torch this pocket rocket :twisted:
Use your paddle shifters like semi-auto weapons! Great ads really.

Acad77

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
You are so worthless. I see you saying all over that, "You must be 15" or "You must be a child". In fact, you are the child buddy. Not only are you a child who wastes time, but you offer nothing. All you do is run around these forums looking for a fight to pick, you are so ridiculous. Go back to grade school or run to your mommy, because we don't need you here. Another piece of information to add, you "pimp one rig at a time". Looks like you're just another phony gangster in the ghetto. You're probably running a pos Pentium 2. As far as fanboyism, why don't you screw off and leave this stuff to the adults. Think I'm done yet? Nope! I would also like to comment on your post quantities. 1142 posts? Yea, looks like somebody doesn't have a life. At least the 13 or so posts I have are all enriched with great information. Oh wait, I sense a comeback. How can any of my posts be enlightening and filled with good information when I continue to attack you? It's actually quite simple, but I don't think your tiny brain could understand. You should be banned, and...people here do NOT look up to you. Hey everyone else, just take a look at what MadModMike says. It's a pile of barboski, and yes...the word does exist. Why don't we all let Mike check this one in the dictionary. Just maybe....he'll learn a thing or two about leaving people's integrity and opinions alone. If you all agree with me, click that cool button that says report. I heard....that the admins get it, and review a subjects status and worthwhile. Isn't that just so cool? If you couldn't sense any sarcasim, the this isn't the place for you.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
You are so worthless. I see you saying all over that, "You must be 15" or "You must be a child". In fact, you are the child buddy. Not only are you a child who wastes time, but you offer nothing. All you do is run around these forums looking for a fight to pick, you are so ridiculous. Go back to grade school or run to your mommy, because we don't need you here. Another piece of information to add, you "pimp one rig at a time". Looks like you're just another phony gangster in the ghetto. You're probably running a pos Pentium 2. As far as fanboyism, why don't you screw off and leave this stuff to the adults. Think I'm done yet? Nope! I would also like to comment on your post quantities. 1142 posts? Yea, looks like somebody doesn't have a life. At least the 13 or so posts I have are all enriched with great information. Oh wait, I sense a comeback. How can any of my posts be enlightening and filled with good information when I continue to attack you? It's actually quite simple, but I don't think your tiny brain could understand. You should be banned, and...people here do NOT look up to you. Hey everyone else, just take a look at what MadModMike says. It's a pile of barboski, and yes...the word does exist. Why don't we all let Mike check this one in the dictionary. Just maybe....he'll learn a thing or two about leaving people's integrity and opinions alone. If you all agree with me, click that cool button that says report. I heard....that the admins get it, and review a subjects status and worthwhile. Isn't that just so cool? If you couldn't sense any sarcasim, the this isn't the place for you.

LOL @ U..

oh god, that post was priceless.

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
This is funny stuff.
It's like betting somebody that he won't flatten his testicles with a cast iron skillet. Damned if you do, damned if you do...

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
What I find funny, is the attraction everybody is taking to me. I mean, come on, I've had 3 or 4 threads DEDICATED to ME! Now, yea they were dedicated to FLAMING me (which I enjoy seeing the great talents and minds of Toms' Brightest) but still, I love it. I swear, I'm a overnight celebrity on the forums now, lol. You'd think people would get bored, but no, they come right back with another, lol it's great. Keep 'em comin' guys, I can't wait to see how many more threads get started for me, maybe I'm setting a new record ;). 1 as most threads and most hated :D.

eyimbo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
Mad Mod Mikes Pimping Challenge:

- Build a 1/2-way (1 CPU socket only) system
- Using the Athlon 64 X2 or Opteron 100 series (Model 165 and up)
- Socket 939, or Socket 940
- Using whatever DDR[1]-SDRAM (184 pin) you want (up to DDR-600 speeds), ECC or not, Registered or Unbuffered

or

- Build a 2/4-way (2 CPU socket max) system
- Using Opteron 200 or 800 series (Either single core, or dual-core).
- Socket 940
- Using whatever DDR[1]-SDRAM (184 pin) you want (up to DDR-600 speeds), ECC or not, Registered or Unbuffered. However it is most likely going to be Registered at the very least for this style of system.

Then demonstrate that system performing:

:arrow: Reads faster than writes to system memory using over a 1 GB dataset in memory (his choice)

:arrow: Reading from system memory at 11 GB/sec without using NUMA (Just disable in the BIOS) using SANDRA 2005.SR3 (Benchmark breakdown records each sub-test seperately, so this is possible to extract from the test results).

================================================

Personally, I can not wait to see the results, as he should have this sort of hardware just lying around.

60 days to build said system should be ample, including delays on parts.

Come on Mike, you can do it 8)

how sad are you?

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I swear, I'm a overnight celebrity on the forums now, lol.

You FOOL!! It's "an overnight celebrity"! Don't you know to use "an" when the next word starts with a vowel? Haha, jk.

grammarnazi-sm.jpg

AH SH!T! I FORGOT A LETTER! GRR!!

I'd have to blame my keyboard, I go this Sunbeam Backlit one because I thought it looked cool, but the keys are so un-shortthrow, it's like you need to smash the keys to get them to register, I can't even type as fast as before, I used to do over 100wpm w/ <3 errors, now it's like 65wpm w/ 6 errors. Uh oh, I hope I wasn't gloating and get flamed for that, :roll:.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
AH SH!T! I FORGOT A LETTER! GRR!!

I'd have to blame my keyboard, I go this Sunbeam Backlit one because I thought it looked cool...

You mean "I got this"? YOU FORGOT ANOTHER LETTER! OMG! :lol:

D@MN!!!!!!!!! I HATE THIS KEYBOARD!!! I need a keyboard with very short-throw keys that I can glide my fingers across, I want my 100+ wpm back :evil:. Any suggestions?

You should mod a laptop keyboard into a desktop model. Laptop keyboards have extremely short key throws and I think that would be what you are looking for. I think that a laptop keyboard is a regular PS/2 device.

That would be a neat mod- how about it?

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
You should mod a laptop keyboard into a desktop model. Laptop keyboards have extremely short key throws and I think that would be what you are looking for. I think that a laptop keyboard is a regular PS/2 device.

That would be a neat mod- how about it?

They sell those @ newegg.com for $20, I was thinking of buying that. I type very good on my laptop, I might buy that keyboard.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I do hope he (Mike) can get past the +16% overclock that he is getting on the Asus board he is using now.

Still, don't think airflow is the solution to every PC problem.
- Intel Conroe isn't likely to
- Via C3/C7/etc certainly doesn't benefit from it
- AMD Geode LX that launches recently doesn't either
- Sun Microsystems UltraSPARC don't

A good firm copper heatsink, with a thermal pad or some grease, large surface area to contact ratio (for heatsink), heatpipes, maybe motor oil to said heatsink (enclosed), with some airflow over it (1 x 120 mm at mid rpm is heaps).... and you should be getting near water cooling overclocks.

I know a guy with 7 case fans, and he damaged his PC by hitting the rails on the PSU to hard, just because someone told him 60C was 'too hot'. The Pentium 4 PreScotts will run at 70C happily for quite some time, any hotter than 72C - 74C and they'll throttle down for sure. (Still we are talking Athlon 64 / Opteron rigs here anyway, which require only good passive chipset cooling, similar to above, and not anywhere near 100 Cubic Feet per Minute, CFM, of airflow)

Still, it may just be that the PCI bus is not locked at 33.33MHz and trying to run at 38.66 MHz on his current board, and that is holding him back.

Also many Opterons processors won't clock past 2.4 GHz when overclocking almost regardless of what you do, some will not even reach 2.4 GHz it without issues, the ones that do usually become faster chips.

The AMD Athlon 64FX line was made for that purpose, and they are already clocked fairly high as is.

Overclocking in the future, on multi socket systems will be even harder, as if just 1 CPU can't handle the desired clock speed, you'll hit a wall, even if every other processor will clock higher.

It is part luck, part skill, part technical knowledge, etc
- A given chipset on board X might be good or bad for overclocking
- A given CPU might not OC so well
- Default setting on board A might lock PCI bus at 33.33 MHz, on another it might use the ratios
- etc

What CPU is Mad Mod Mike running anyway ?

The forums are to help each other, and discuss technical stuff, the guy is an (in)famous as Ned Kelly was down 'ere :p

gpfear

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
http://www.sentry.net/~obsid/chewie/

Pimped computer. All you need is some purple shag carpet and some bling and it's pimped.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
D@MN!!!!!!!!! I HATE THIS KEYBOARD!!! I need a keyboard with very short-throw keys that I can glide my fingers across, I want my 100+ wpm back :evil:. Any suggestions?

I think you will need more than one keyboard...Damn...you are posting more than 20 times daily, what about other forums?
Let me guess you are spending between 12 and 16 hours a day on your PC.

Anyway where are the moderators and admins, this topic is so pointless. Why do we have to use public forums for personal attacks when we have the option for private messages?

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

I think you will need more than one keyboard...Damn...you are posting more than 20 times daily, what about other forums?
Let me guess you are spending between 12 and 16 hours a day on your PC.

Anyway where are the moderators and admins, this topic is so pointless. Why do we have to use public forums for personal attacks when we have the option for private messages?

Actually I don't, my post average was set back when Conroe was being discussed because I spent 500 posts defending myself from the 800 Intel Fanboys that PMS'd on me.

blueeyesm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
In that case, don't both companies owe everything to IBM for making the 8086 way back when??

Yup.

Oh - MMM - I DO know the diff - mainly becasue I was aware of those facts BEFORE google existed, ya rube.
:p :)

Motorola's chips still see a lot of usage. Texas Instruments uses MC68000 chips in its TI-89, 92, 92+, and Voyage 200 graphing calculators. (They use Zilog Z80s in their other models.) I have a Voyage 200 and it seems to perform pretty decently at finding iterative solutions for having a 12MHz chip and 384KB RAM in it.