Question Mag X670E Tomahawk WiFi DRAM light on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2023
My MSI Mag X670E Tomahawk WiFi is sometimes showing a yellow DRAM light. Of course, I can not continue setting my PC up with this issue because sometimes I don't even have a graphic signal to my monitor when I reboot the system.

I have two DRAM5 modules. I tried a single module separately in each slot. Nothing changed.

My specs are:

Motherboard: MSI Mag X670E Tomahawk WiFi

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D

RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000) Desktop Memory Model F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK

PSU: FSP Hydro G PRO 1000W, ATX3.0 & PCIe 5.0(Gen 5), 80+ Gold Power Supply (HG2-1000, Gen5)

I thought that the problem could be the motherboard so I asked for a replacement. The problem persists though.
Should I try another DRAM?
Anyone able to help me figure out what’s going on?

turtletarget111

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
Are you seeing the typical symptoms of defective memory? If your system is running off modules that are giving errors, you will generally experience freezing and random crashes. You will see errors such as DATA_BUS_ERROR and MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. If you see these errors you may want to take a look in your BIOS to ensure your RAM ins't aggressively overclocked or receiving the wrong amount of voltage. If you have spare modules on hand, go ahead and slot them in to see if the issue persists. The proper way to install new RAM modules is to completely reinstall Windows, but for a quick test your system will be just fine. You can also run Windows Memory Diagnostic, which can identify errors your RAM may be outputting. Restart your system when it completes and see if the error is still prevalent. Hope this helps, take care.

Aug 25, 2023
Are you seeing the typical symptoms of defective memory? If your system is running off modules that are giving errors, you will generally experience freezing and random crashes. You will see errors such as DATA_BUS_ERROR and MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. If you see these errors you may want to take a look in your BIOS to ensure your RAM ins't aggressively overclocked or receiving the wrong amount of voltage. If you have spare modules on hand, go ahead and slot them in to see if the issue persists. The proper way to install new RAM modules is to completely reinstall Windows, but for a quick test your system will be just fine. You can also run Windows Memory Diagnostic, which can identify errors your RAM may be outputting. Restart your system when it completes and see if the error is still prevalent. Hope this helps, take care.

This is a new system. I haven't changed any setting in my BIOS yet so I don't have any SO installed yet.

Unfortunately, I don't have any different DRAM modules with me but I don't know what to do. I am thinking that If I buy another type I will discard DRAM5 as the problem.

I think this hardware is fully compatible so I am lost to be honest.

Thank you for replying!

turtletarget111

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
You could always order a new kit from Amazon or Newegg and return it later. Or you could return your current kit if it is still within the return window. You may even be able to get it extended if you tell them they are defective. Updating your BIOS could solve your problem, as it could allow for more compatibility with other modules. You also mentioned you tried each stick in each slot - remember that both slots two and four should be populated before you put sticks in slots one and three. This rule is very occasionally broken; check your motherboard manual if you are unsure.

If you do go down the route of ordering new sticks, for quick testing or otherwise, I would go with a different kit. The G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo is about as good as it gets for AMD systems. It is very similar to your current kit, but has lower CAS latency for increased performance, and is AMD Expo certified, unlike your current set. This means your RAM is optimized for maximum performance and compatibility on your machine. Take care.

Reactions: Jaisiero
Aug 25, 2023
You could always order a new kit from Amazon or Newegg and return it later. Or you could return your current kit if it is still within the return window. You may even be able to get it extended if you tell them they are defective. Updating your BIOS could solve your problem, as it could allow for more compatibility with other modules. You also mentioned you tried each stick in each slot - remember that both slots two and four should be populated before you put sticks in slots one and three. This rule is very occasionally broken; check your motherboard manual if you are unsure.

If you do go down the route of ordering new sticks, for quick testing or otherwise, I would go with a different kit. The G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo is about as good as it gets for AMD systems. It is very similar to your current kit, but has lower CAS latency for increased performance, and is AMD Expo certified, unlike your current set. This means your RAM is optimized for maximum performance and compatibility on your machine. Take care.

I am using now a single stick in the second lane starting from the closest one to the CPU. I updated its BIOS with the latest beta version in order to know if a newer version could fix the yellow light. It didn't. I installed my discrete GPU. I rebooted and then the second time I got signal from it. It is a RTX 4090.

Now the yellow light is gone. So odd. I installed Windows 10. Everything seems to work fine but now I am scared to install the second DRAM5 stick in the fourth lane.

I doubt that this is a motherboard problem nor CPU problem but I am very confused right now to be honest. I've got everything from Newegg. I will try to get more time and order the other ones and try'em.

Thank you so much for helping!

Aug 25, 2023

Allright. So I installed the those new ones that you told me in the 2nd and 4th lanes and after a few reboots, my PC's got both sticks properly and everything seems to work.

So now there are 32gb of RAM installed. Yay! It looks like those modules are more compatible with this motherboard.

Anyway, problem solved. Thank you for everything @turtletarget111 .

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS