Magnetic Memory Manipulated by Voltage, Not Just Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

amigafan

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
"almost instantaneously"? Well that's not instantaneous enough for computing performance expected today :|

However if it uses less power than SRAM it will surely find it's purpose.

No, I don't see it saying almost instantaneously in the journal.

"The increasing voltage leads to more and more obvious change of Hc, but after switching-off the voltages each time, the DHc goes back to around zero instantaneously" (Wang et al. 2011)

amigafan

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]No, I don't see it saying almost instantaneously in the journal."The increasing voltage leads to more and more obvious change of Hc, but after switching-off the voltages each time, the DHc goes back to around zero instantaneously" (Wang et al. 2011)[/citation]
"For example, the researchers demonstrate that the effect can be turned on and off almost instantaneously, whereas the changes should lag if heat is the cause."

ik242

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
@amigafan, that was sentence from the this page article, written by THG journalist not by researchers.

G

The key to perpetual motion is here... now if we can just figure out displacement in order to bypass inertia, then off to Xanadu we go =)

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
I wonder what the next ASUS chinese marketing slogans will be brought to the table with this. Either way, here is hoping to affordable 20TB storage by the end of next 2 or so years.

kajohn10

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Wait...they just figured this out? Are you kidding? Applying a voltage induces a current which will produce a magnetic field. Hmmm, wonder if I can apply this most SIMPLE and BASIC physics model to force something into a desired state...

OK, so the journal article is much more detailed and applies to specific materials and substrates...but this shouldn't come as a surprising find.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]kajohn10[/nom]Wait...they just figured this out? Are you kidding? Applying a voltage induces a current which will produce a magnetic field. Hmmm, wonder if I can apply this most SIMPLE and BASIC physics model to force something into a desired state...OK, so the journal article is much more detailed and applies to specific materials and substrates...but this shouldn't come as a surprising find.[/citation]

If it's so easy why won't you show them how it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.