[SOLVED] Main switch working with a secondary PoE switch

abeinnz

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017
Hi, this is probably a really simple answer but I've been doing some digging and can't seem to find anything obvious so thought I'd ask as anyone familiar with PoE will likely know. I have a main managed switch (TP-LINK TL-SG2424) that runs my home network. I'm looking to add some Wireless AP's that are PoE. I understand I can run injectors or use a PoE switch. Since I would also like to inevitably add some PoE cameras, I'm thinking a PoE switch is the go. My question is about how the PoE switch works physically with the main switch. Specifically, if I buy an 8 port PoE switch, is there a 1 to 1 relationship with the main switch ports? Eg. run a cable from port 1 on the main switch to port 1 on the PoE switch and then port 2 on the PoE switch goes to the Wireless AP? Or is there usually a dedicated uplink port on the PoE switch where if it were 8 ports, I could use 7 for PoE devices and one port back to the main switch, potentially limiting the bandwidth between the AP's if each are 1G ports but then bottleneck at just one 1G port back to the main switch? Sorry if I've confused things, I'm just trying to get this clear in my mind. Thanks in advance.

Solution
One cable from your main switch to your PoE switch. Generally this can be to any port on the PoE switch, but there might be one labeled 'Uplink'; if so, use it.

The rest of the ports on the PoE switch are available to connect to APs/Cameras.

Yes, there is potentially a bottleneck, your choices are pretty much to either live with it (what most people do), or use a faster (e.g. 10 Gig) uplink port (what enterprises with lots of $ do).

I thought as much, thanks for your reply. Much appreciated!

kanewolf

Titan
There are two POE standards 24V and 48V. Be sure you use compatible hardware. 24V is mostly used for outdoor equipment. If you buy a POE switch from the same manufacturer as the APs that helps ensure you are compatible. Otherwise look for the 802.3af or 802.3at (48V) designation.

Reactions: abeinnz
One cable from your main switch to your PoE switch. Generally this can be to any port on the PoE switch, but there might be one labeled 'Uplink'; if so, use it.

The rest of the ports on the PoE switch are available to connect to APs/Cameras.

Yes, there is potentially a bottleneck, your choices are pretty much to either live with it (what most people do), or use a faster (e.g. 10 Gig) uplink port (what enterprises with lots of $ do).

Reactions: abeinnz

abeinnz

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017

I thought as much, thanks for your reply. Much appreciated!

Solution