Mainboard Fan 3 intermittent speed issues

adiaz7531

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
Hello, over the past week I've been experiencing a sporadic issue with the Mainboard Fan 3 running slow/noisy after boot up. Shutting down and restarting has cured it so far. It's connected to a Fractal 140mm fan which is attached to a Corsair H90 radiator along with a second 140mm fan(push/pull) all connected to the rear of the case. It's a dip in speed of around 400 rpm. The PSU is a SeaSonic 660 Platinum series.

Is this issue with the fan sound like it's going bad or can it be something else? Also, I've got a Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 2GB GPU.

I look forward you your input. Thanks!!

Solution
List your full system's specs as:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
Chassis:

You may want to make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date. If you're on Windows 10, you may want to see if clearing your TEMP folder within Windows' own folder help clear things. Often the updates bring about or leave junk that can cause a mishap with the fans. The last two updates ended up making some system's run with their CPU at full blast in spite of lower temps on the components.

Lutfij

Titan
List your full system's specs as:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
Chassis:

You may want to make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date. If you're on Windows 10, you may want to see if clearing your TEMP folder within Windows' own folder help clear things. Often the updates bring about or leave junk that can cause a mishap with the fans. The last two updates ended up making some system's run with their CPU at full blast in spite of lower temps on the components.

Solution

adiaz7531

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
Thanks Lutfij!

Actually I noticed that one of the connectors going from PSU to Motherboard wasn't fully inserted/more angled. I unplugged it and reinserted the plug and haven't had the irregular start up fan speed issue since. I'll keep and eye out on it for a while just to be sure. Thanks again!