Question Mainboard for AMD Ryzen 9 7950X CPU ?

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Please suggest a motherboard for this CPU:
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 16C 32T Socket AM5

I don't game, neither do I need WiFi. I'm prepared to build a fast desktop PC running Oracle VirtualBox.

RAM 64G DDR4/DDR5

My preference is ASUS motherboard. I have been running ASUS motherboards on other PCs for years without problem. But also I'll consider other brands suggested.

I have no preset budget but don't expect to get a too expensive motherboad.

Thanks in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
I would avoid Asus since they've had a run in with RMA's as well as back end support(BIOS and even over the phone support. You could look into Gigabyte, MSI and ASRock. What sort of a form factor are you looking at? As for your purchase, what is your preferred site for purchase, your budget and your location?

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
I would avoid Asus since they've had a run in with RMA's as well as back end support(BIOS and even over the phone support. You could look into Gigabyte, MSI and ASRock. What sort of a form factor are you looking at? As for your purchase, what is your preferred site for purchase, your budget and your location?
Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

Standard-ATX motherboard. Not mini ATX

Please advise;
Is it graphic coming from AMD Ryzen 9 7950X CPU ?
Graphics Capabilities

I don't need purchasing a graphic card ?

Best motherboards for AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 2023

1)
Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX (rev. 1.x) (DDR5)

Next Gen Connectivity: PCIe 5.0, PCIe 5.0 NVMe x4 M.2, Front and rear USB-C

It looks this motherboard supporting (Two) PCIe 5.0 NVMe x4 M.2 SSD ?

Price - about USD200
available in Hong Kong computer shops

2)
Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX (rev. 1.0) (DDR5)

Next Gen Connectivity: PCIe 5.0, Quad NVMe x4 M.2, USB-C, BT 5.2

It looks this motherboard also supporting (Two) PCIe 5.0 NVMe x4 M.2 SSD ?
Price - about USD290
Also available in Hong Kong computer shops

What is the difference in feature and performance between these 2 Gigabyte motherboards ?

Any other suggestion from you?

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Regards

Not much between those 2 boards. The X670 has 1 more M.2 connector, some additional USB headers and 1 more PCIe 4.0 slot as opposed to 3.0.

It looks this motherboard also supporting (Two) PCIe 5.0 NVMe x4 M.2 SSD ?
Both motherboards only have 1 M.2 slot that supports PCIe 5.0 speeds. The rest will run at PCIe 4.0.

Additionally the X670 has a bit better VRM configuration, but for the 7950X both boards have overkill power delivery to be honest.

Can't go wrong with any of them, personally I'd go for the cheaper B650, you don't get much for that 90USD with the X670.

Is it graphic coming from AMD Ryzen 9 7950X CPU ?Is it graphic coming from AMD Ryzen 9 7950X CPU ?

The 7950X has integrated Graphics, indeed. No dedicated GPU needed.

Last edited:

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Not much between those 2 boards. The X670 has 1 more M.2 connector, some additional USB headers and 1 more PCIe 4.0 slot as opposed to 3.0.
Thanks . I would select B650 as advised.

Both motherboards only have 1 M.2 slot that supports PCIe 5.0 speeds. The rest will run at PCIe 4.0.
From viewing the photos of the motherboards, both of them can install PCIe5.0 NVMe 4 SSD? If I'm wrong please correct me. I'm going to purchase ONE PCIe5.0 NVMe 4 SSD

The 7950X has integrated Graphics, indeed. No dedicated GPU needed.
That means I don't need to purchase a graphic card separately? Please advise. Thanks

Regards

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
For the 7000 series AMD expo is like XMP for Intel, it's a memory profile that brings the frequency and timings to what's advertised on the kit

Now, there are memory kits that are specifically tuned for Ryzen 7000 CPUs. Usually those are able to reach 6400 MT/s with these CPUs (ryzen is much pickier with memory, compared to intel). They are branded as expo kits.

The KIT you linked is not an expo kit, but since it's a 6000 MT/s one, you should be fine and it is the sweet spot for these CPUs

Yeah, that SSD will work.

It doesn't require liquid cooling, it is recommended, but you can get away with air cooling.

Something from Thermalright should do the job great: Phantom Spirit 120, Peerless Assassin 120 or Frost Spirit 140 V3. They all actually perform better than the Noctua NH D15 on the 7950X, but that would be suitable too.

View: https://youtu.be/R-wxHtELX5s?si=tZnx0Oi4cBlVn5c9

To get things straight, while a high end liquid cooler will bring the temps to a lower level, the air coolers I just mentioned will perform really well too.
Especially the thermalright offerings which are dirt cheap in comparison to others.

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Hi ChumP,

Thanks for your advice and Youtube video

Thermalright cooling fans

Following Thermalright coolers are available on local computer shops here;
1)

Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB WHITE
2)
Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
3)
Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 PA120
4)
Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE PLUS CPU Cooler AX120 R SE PLUS

etc.

Which of them would you recommend for AMD Ryzen 9 7950X CPU ?

Regarding RAM, would following 64G kit model be suitable?
CORSAIR 64GB Kit DOMINATOR TITANIUM RGB White DDR5 6400MHz Memory

6400MHz

Power supply: Corsair CX 550M 550 Watt (already available)

Brand-new still packed in origial packing box

Please advise. Thanks

Regards

Last edited:
That RAM kit is so overpriced... you linked the other DDR5-6000 previously that was perfectly fine and $100 cheaper too. Why bother paying more?

And then you cheap out on the PSU, I'd understand if you had a more budget oriented build, but you don't.
In my opinion this build deserves a better PSU, 550W or 650W should be plenty.

Models that I'd suggest are:
- Corsair RMx, RMe, HX, HXi, AX, AXi
- Seasonic Focus, Focus Plus, Prime

Or go ahead and take anything from tier A in this list:
https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

For the cooler you can get any from the first three... the phantom spirit outperforms the peerless assassin by a bit.