Maingear Unveils "Razor-Thin" Notebook; Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris312

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
Does anyone know if the etching is free? I spent a little time on the manufacturer's website but I didn't see a price for etching. The price seems to be quite good, and the features look nice. I'll agree that it's not "Razor-Thin" but it looks a lot like what I'm looking for for a college laptop this fall. Definitely would wait on some reviews, first, though.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I find this article to be completely rediculous to talk about. A $3000 laptop with an IGP, and an Intel IGP at that. Also making the terrible assumption that an complete Intel platform is better then an AMD platform using a 780GX. Seems poorly writted and more like fanboyism.

G

They took tolerance of marketing gimmicky too far, "razor-thin" laptop with a Premium $3k+ package of Intel-IGP.

Perhaps the "razor-thin" applies to the etching, the laser is "razor-thin". Look how far gimmicky has gotten.

G

So is Kevin Parrish's job title "Official Shill" or something? This is the second article this week (that I've bothered reading, there may have been more) that are nothing more than gloriously spouty press releases. The last was the utterly absurb piece on how a $2600 computer with an ugly logo and consumer-available parts somehow constitutes a "value."

I sincerely hope you guys are charging ad fees for this. Really, you should charge multiple times your normal rate, on account of I can't block these with Adblock and I have no way of knowing how incredibly worthless they are until after I've read them.

lutel

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Bring back screens with 4:3 ratio. 16:10 in laptop is pure nonsense, and was pushed to market to cut costs (smaller area of screen for equal diameter). There is huge demand in business market for light 4:3 laptops (like IBM T60, Dell X300).

thepinkpanther

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004
if they could sneak a mainstream gpu, perhaps the 9600gt or 4670, and keep it under 1" id call it the razor edge of tech for size. To me a laptop isnt worth buying if it has integrated gpu.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
"... Intel's GMA X4500HD integrated graphics processor with up to 256 MB shared memor... Blu-ray disc reader..." hmm... wondering how well of this >$3K laptop handles Blu-ray movies... and how well it handles in the real life... (working, browsing while having Blu-ray movie playing at the side)... hmm guess that should not be too much to ask for a >$3K laptop... isn't it?..;)

Dave K

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]The 15" Macbook Pro has even better specs (9600 GT) and with a 2.93 GHz cpu, its $300 cheaper and almost half an inch thinner[/citation]

And we all know that if it's more expensive than Apple... it's REALLY expensive. ;)

Dave K

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
[citation][nom]chris312[/nom]Does anyone know if the etching is free? I spent a little time on the manufacturer's website but I didn't see a price for etching. The price seems to be quite good, and the features look nice. I'll agree that it's not "Razor-Thin" but it looks a lot like what I'm looking for for a college laptop this fall. Definitely would wait on some reviews, first, though.[/citation]

I think given the price it's safe to say that the price for etching is DEFINITELY include. If they DO expect you to pay extra for the etching I'd have to say you're paying TWICE. It's pretty much the only thing that differentiates this box from less expensive laptops (with better feature lists).

G

[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]I find this article to be completely rediculous to talk about. A $3000 laptop with an IGP, and an Intel IGP at that. Also making the terrible assumption that an complete Intel platform is better then an AMD platform using a 780GX. Seems poorly writted and more like fanboyism.[/citation]

And this isn't poorly written?

L2Type. Seriously.

G

I'd take a $600 all-AMD laptop from Dell, HP, etc.. over this any day, absolutely nothing special here.

MamiyaOtaru

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
Agreeing with the 4:3 love. People will tell you it makes sense for notebooks, and especially netbooks, as there is a certain minimum width needed for the keyboard to be usable. In contrast, there's leeway to cut the depth, and with it screen height. Fine, sounds good.

Then why the heck are we seeing so many laptops with a battery hanging out the back? Dell Adamo being the first example that comes to mind, along with both the convertible tablets in our office. That's unused depth. You could easily put the hinge back there and get a taller screen.

Well you could if your true motivation wasn't smaller screen area for the same x-inch diagonal measurement. Cost saving, that's all it is. I'd pay more for a tall screen any day.

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
quote]So does Kevin Parrish hate maingear or something, did they all gangbang his wife or something....[/quote]

ROFLMAO...............

But, seriously man, grow up and give us NEWS............NOT!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.