Maintenance & Security for Windows 8?

CC268

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
I am just wondering what you guys recommend I run on Windows 8 to keep it clear from malware and viruses? Also, what do you guys recommend I do to keep my computer clean as possible?

The included Windows Defender app is actually a decent AV, and should be all you need if you aren't prone to going places on the internet where you can pick up malware. If you want a third party solution, look at suites like VIPRE or Norton AV or Internet Security. And contrary to what some may tell you, the last few iterations of the Norton line of security products are quite good. I've personally used them in both the beta stage, as well as after their official release.

As far as keeping your computer clean (i'm assuming in the physical sense, as in dust buildup and such), you're stuck with getting a case that promotes lots of airflow, and simple maintenance every 1-3 months, depending on the environment the computer is in. Dust happens, and there is nothing we can do to stop it.

CC268

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

Thanks! As far as clean, I meant internally. Should I use apps such as CCleaner and Glary Utilities and run %temp% to clean temp files...or should I just leave the computer as is and not worry about that stuff?

Eventually it does build up and should be taken care of. Install CCleaner or whatever your favorite utility is for cleaning purposes, but don't run it every 20 seconds as was necessary in the past ;)

Both Windows 7 and 8 are pretty good about keeping themselves tidier than previous versions were.