Major Defrag issues!

BrettBuhler

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
I'm trying to defrag my hard drive. The drive was 58% fragmented, I have no clue why because I had just done a reset on my computer. So I've been running the defrag for at least 48 hours and it pretty much stopped moving on pass 5. So I stopped it thinking it was defrag and it was only down 3 percent. So I did it again and again around pass 5 it stopped doing much but I let it run for 72 hours and it only went down 2%. Is that normal? I've been debating just buying an ssd is that best? Thanks!

Run Crystal Disk Info. that will tell if you if it is failing without the stress of a Check Disk.

If it isn't failing, I would then run Crystal Disk mark and see how fast it benchmarks. Usually 90-120 MBps is the range it should be in. If it dips down low then it could be the hard drive still.

If the drive is failing then yea you want to replace it ASAP.

Also I never use the build in defag. I always use 3rd part ones. My new fav is Ultimate Defrag

BrettBuhler

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
Ok perfect! Also, one more question if you could, I'm getting some stuttering in games, like really bad and I kept my performance tab open and it looked like it was the hardrive failing, is that possible or was it something else? Just because I've heard the hardrive shouldn't impact the actual game. The CPU was running fine and so was the graphics card and the ram

^^^ what he said but you have 12GB of ram so I don't see how that could really be happening. I gamed on 8GB for a very long time without issue. I have 16 now and even when I game on Ultra settings in games like Doom I still don't come close to using half of my ram.

BrettBuhler

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
My initial thought was an issue with the ram so I tested and it's fine. I did find a broken ram unit but I tested all of them and only one was broken. I'm barely even using half the 12gb when gaming. I'm thinking I may just invest in a ssd because the drive seems to be broken.