Question Major graphical issues and overheating RTX 3070

Jul 3, 2024
Hello again, its gonna be a LONG post. Last time i posted was about my broken motherboard. But i was facing other issues as well wich i had for about 7 months now..

I have major graphical issues, i say graphical because i have no idea whats causing them. It could be either my RTX 3070 wich i changed in January or my crappy 21:9 monitor i got not so long before the card and thats the problem.

Whats happening is the shadows look grainy, not in all games though. Generally speaking all of the games look like they are either on low settings or on lower resolution than my monitor is wich is super weird and confusing because at the same time it looks like anty aliasing is not working and i'm LOST.

In forza horizon 4 i have to set the resolution to 4k (not upscaled, weirdly i have option in this game to set the resolution to 4k 16:9 on a 21:9 1080p monitor) for it to look completely normal and good on max settings, when on native resolution the trees and reflections look so pixelated i cant play the game. It looks like anty aliasing isnt working but it is on 4k.

"Epic Games Money Machine" (i cant say the name of the game) is interesting because if i turn on DLSS or FSR the game looks normal and amazing, the other way around, if its off, ironically it looks horrible, blurry and matte just like it should look when DLSS is turned on. Also max settings, super weird right?

Call of duty's are better in this case, cold war looks very good except the hair of my character wich looks a little transparent
Modern warfare looks almost okay except grainy shadows wich are unfixable but a lot of ppl have this problem. Its a little blurry too.
Black ops 3, i dont even know. I think it should look better. Also antyaliasing issues, when i say that i mean the edges look 'stairy' and jagged.

God od war is the one where i had enough. In this particular title when i change the presets from low to max, NOTHING CHANGES. ONLY THE FRAMERATE. When i saw how this game looks on yt and compared it to mine, i've decided to ask for help because i spent so much money on components that literally downgraded everything. When i had a 1660 everything looked better...

Battlefield 2042, looks absolutely horrible. No way to fix it since there is no option to upscale to 1440p or sth.

The last of us looks ok, but after all of this i dont know if it should look like this since i have no comparison.

In all games ray tracing doesnt work. Frames drop like its working but no visual effect. Ha, even without ray tracing reflections look worse than ps2.

Only setting resolution higher or upscaling (render set to 150% or 200%) fixes most of it.

The card overheats, its very loud it reaches over 84 degrees very quickly so since i have it THE ONLY WAY for it to work "properly" is undervolting. Its done properly from this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV0C3zDJETY
The temps dropped by a whopping 14 degrees. I imagine that if i hadnt done it, the temps would hit 90 degrees if i didnt turn off the pc. BUT, recently they started rising again and games started to crash on me.

I have enough, i dont know what to do, i changed the thermal paste and only some of the pads because i didnt have enough, since my last post i also swapped the broken MTB for a new one, the PSU for an "outlet" one but its new and good, and even RAM also new.

Please guys what could be wrong? I looked EVERYWHERE, and not a single person has a problem like this. Like seriously not a single post or video describing a similar issue. It looks like a resolution issue.

What i tried so far:

-completely uninstalling, reinstalling GPU drivers, ofc with a special program. i dont remember wich

-completely reinstalling windows, from 11 to 10, from 10 to 11, and again from 11 to 11 and switched the drives each time.

-playing with advanced settings in nvidia control panel, like every single one. the 3d settings for each program, upscaling etc

i dont remember more so ask me im gonna respond to every reply.

since i have these problems i switched everything except the GPU, monitor and two drives.

MY SPECS:
-CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x with Waith Prism that started whining and also heating excesively
-GPU: RTX 3070 Gigabyte Vision OC
-MTB: MSI x570S MAG Torpedo (new)
-PSU: Corsair RM850x (new)
-RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 2x16GB 3600mhz
-SSD: Wd Black SN850x 2TB
-System SSD: SAMSUNG MZVLB256HBHQ-000L2 256GB
-HDD: Toshiba HDWD110 1TB

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Last time i posted was about my broken motherboard. But i was facing other issues as well wich i had for about 7 months now.
You forgot to mention the make and model of the case. What sort of ambient room temps do you have? Number of fans in your case and their orientation? Make and models of the fans would help us two fold.

completely uninstalling, reinstalling GPU drivers, ofc with a special program. i dont remember wich
DDU?

completely reinstalling windows, from 11 to 10, from 10 to 11, and again from 11 to 11 and switched the drives each time.
Where did you source the installers for the OS? Did you install the OS in offline mode?

MTB: MSI x570S MAG Torpedo (new)
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-X570S-TORPEDO-MAX/support
Is this the motherboard you're working with? If so, what BIOS version are you on?