MAJOR lag spikes causing me to get kicked out of an online game

Keithngan162

Honorable
Apr 17, 2016
I have a problem with stable connectivity. I frequently get disconnected from a game i am playing online. EVEN WHEN I AM LITERALLY THE ONLY ONE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET

Situation: I am playing Rainbow Six Siege or maybe World of Tanks. somewhere in the middle of a match, everything stops, and all of a sudden i get disconnected; when i try to check google, nothing also happens. This non responsive internet happens for about 10 seconds each time. But before i lag out of the game, I wasn't feeling any mini lag spikes, but a major lag spike was imminent and that would cause me to get disconnected out of a game.

ALSO when our internet plan was new, this never happened, I was only connected to our modem/router that our ISP gave us thats it. But now, everything is trash, we even hooked up a new TPlink router to the modem/router, but that gave very little improvements and still i am getting kicked out of every game i play.

But we are about to change our ISP. Changing our internet plan from DSL (15Down and not even 1 up) to FIBER (50 symmetrical?) we are just waiting for the new ISP to call us back.

ALSO I use wifi because i live in a condo so routing an ethernet cable to my location would be messy because it would have to cross a couple of walk ways. But I do have eye contact with the router so thats about how close i am to the router

Solution
NOT sure if you are asking a question or not :) Fiber all the way!..

BUT with your DSL sounds like a bad line or modem. I had DSL in the past and normally it should be stable just slower but something as simple as the wireing they use getting the plastic casing scratched enough to allow water in it can go bad.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
NOT sure if you are asking a question or not :) Fiber all the way!..

BUT with your DSL sounds like a bad line or modem. I had DSL in the past and normally it should be stable just slower but something as simple as the wireing they use getting the plastic casing scratched enough to allow water in it can go bad.

Solution

Keithngan162

Honorable
Apr 17, 2016

so should i just wait for the new internet to be installed and see if my problems persists?

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I would say.. IF you will be getting it installed soon then yea.. Unless you are having other issues with your computer not related to the internet.
Edit: you could also check with your current ISP and see if they have noted any issues.. OR while you are paying the game in the background setup a ping test to ping like google.com and see if it also matches when you have the issues with the game.

There may be some other suggestions / tools out there. but those should be simple ones.