Question MAJOR problems with XFX Radeon RX 570 RS XXX Edition

Oct 9, 2019
HI all, I am looking to hopefully get some help here. I have dell inspiron 3847 dektop, windows 10 home 64 bit, version 10.0.18362, i5-440 cpu, 16 gb ram, 3 monitors, and over 9 tb of storage. I very recent added a XFX Radeon RX 570 RS XXX Edition 1286MHz, 8gb GDDR5, DX12 VR Ready, Dual BIOS, 3xDP HDMI DVI, AMD Graphics Card (RX-570P8DFD6) to my setup, and it has so far been an absolute nightmare. I installed, and with it I downloaded it's latest driver. That worked OK for a few days, but was completely unsuccessful using it for the reason I bought it- as a GPU accelerator as opencl in Adobe premiere and encoder, as well as ray tracing in Adobe after effects. The option was there in premiere, but selecting it resulted in either a fullbwhite video frame in both preview and program, or random letters, numbers, and characters. encoder worked ok, and after effects would not even allow it to be used. I tried one driver back from the newest, to the same result.
However, that was only the start. After about 2 days, the whole thing took a massive downturn. I currently have massive graphical glitches in all applications and even just the desktop and windows file explorer. Slashes appear across the screen when I move the mouse, things dissappear and reappear, letters and numbers change and become unreadable, just a total mess. At first I considered the possibility of a virus, yet after completely uninstalling all traces of drivers and controls related to the card, all worked fine, yet started up immediately again after trying a reinstall. I tried newest driver, one version before that, the oldest available I could find on their site, and the drivers on the included install cd that came w the card. Even now doing a video encoding w adobe media encoder using opencl results in many of the same graphic glitches appearing in the video itself, however without using opencl, it looks so far to be without those glitches in the outputted video files. I should note I did an export before the glitches started appearing all over my system using opencl in encoder, and the video came out fine.
ANY help is so appreciated, I am at my wits end with this, and am beginning to question if I have a defective card? One thing of note, I cannot find a "hardware" option in my bios, so have not made any changes at that level.
Also of note, this card replaces a nvidia quadro 600, which I used without any errors

Ok, so...
Do you have UEFI BIOS or legacy?
Have you upgraded windows to the latest?
Have you used DDU while installing/ removing GPU drivers?

Exact make, model and AGE of your PSU please. If you have not upgraded it since you bought it it's a very big problem. The prebuilt PSUs are a huge pile of garbage.

Oct 9, 2019
Ok, so...
Do you have UEFI BIOS or legacy?
Have you upgraded windows to the latest?
Have you used DDU while installing/ removing GPU drivers?

Exact make, model and AGE of your PSU please. If you have not upgraded it since you bought it it's a very big problem. The prebuilt PSUs are a huge pile of garbage.

Hi, thanks for replying. I think all info about the PC should be above, aside from it's age, which is 2014. Bios is UEFI. Upgraded windows 2 or 3 weeks ago to the then-newest version of win 10. Did not use DDU while uninstalling...frankly had never heard of it, downloading it now to try

Ok, so that PSU... It's one of the worst brands and maybe same kind of garbage your previous PSU was. It's not 500W, it can output under perfect conditions 384W in the 12V rail which is what matters.
Your GPU needs a minimum of 500W. You should buy a quality, reliable PSU. It's the heart of your system and you should never cheap out on that.

Oct 9, 2019
Ok, so that PSU... It's one of the worst brands and maybe same kind of garbage your previous PSU was. It's not 500W, it can output under perfect conditions 384W in the 12V rail which is what matters.
Your GPU needs a minimum of 500W. You should buy a quality, reliable PSU. It's the heart of your system and you should never cheap out on that.
Well, I certainly wouldn't say my previous one was garbage, served me just fine for 5 years. However, the power issue could certainly be the problem here. May I ask where you got the info you mentioned about pertaining to the amount of power max sent through the various plugs?

Well, I certainly wouldn't say my previous one was garbage, served me just fine for 5 years. However, the power issue could certainly be the problem here. May I ask where you got the info you mentioned about pertaining to the amount of power max sent through the various plugs?
It was made to support the hardware it had and that's it. Any additions you might have done after that, was a risk. That's just how almost all prebuilts are.

As @tennis2 said, in the pictures shown it displays the 12V rail as 32A which makes it 384W. Modern PCs use almost exclusively 12V and the fact that your new PSU has added to the total wattage the 3V and 5V, makes it questionable and certainly "aged".

Oct 9, 2019
It was made to support the hardware it had and that's it. Any additions you might have done after that, was a risk. That's just how almost all prebuilts are.

As @tennis2 said, in the pictures shown it displays the 12V rail as 32A which makes it 384W. Modern PCs use almost exclusively 12V and the fact that your new PSU has added to the total wattage the 3V and 5V, makes it questionable and certainly "aged".
Ok, so does it sound to you all that these issues im having is the card is potentially under powered, even though the powet supply is the required 500w? I'm very stupid when it comes to this. I know the GPU needs 500w, so that's the power supply I ordered. Could you tell me what you look for in the description of a power supply which tells you exactly what it sends out in the plugs that fit the gpu? I understand you dislike the brand I bought, yet so far it has worked without issues for me aside from that it may not carry enough power for my card. Could you please point out what it is I need to look for on Newegg and amazon to determine a power supply I order will be enough for this use? Thank you in advance

even though the powet supply is the required 500w?
That's what we've been saying. It's NOT 500W, not really. It might has served you well in the past but you can clearly see now that it's not serving you good anymore.

To know how much wattage a PSU can supply, you multiply the 12V rail with it's respective Amperage, if there are more than 1 rail, you add them. In your case, 12V x 32A = 384W

You can use these threads for recommendations and general knowledge:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ussion-and-recommended-models-thread.3212332/
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Oct 9, 2019
That's what we've been saying. It's NOT 500W, not really. It might has served you well in the past but you can clearly see now that it's not serving you good anymore.

To know how much wattage a PSU can supply, you multiply the 12V rail with it's respective Amperage, if there are more than 1 rail, you add them. In your case, 12V x 32A = 384W

You can use these threads for recommendations and general knowledge:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ussion-and-recommended-models-thread.3212332/
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html
I'm sorry, but I don't understand the equation you mentioned to determine power output. Do you think this will be enough power or should i go bigger? EVGA 750 N1, 750W, 2 Year Warranty, Power Supply 100-N1-0750-L1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZ3WDQG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_OXTNDbPF9DEBC

This photo is from the link you posted about your PSU.
17-152-053-06.jpg

Under +12V shows 32A. Multiply that and you have the 384 as it also shows. The rest Wattage is by adding the 3.3V rail and 5V rail but that does not make any difference to modern PCs.

Also, if you bothered reading the first thread in my previous post, it clearly says under EVGA:
Not very good are the W1, N1, B1, B3 (Most models failed Aris Mpitziopoulos stringent testing), BQ, BR, BT and G1 NEX models
The one you are asking is the N1.
Since you are going to spend as much as that unit has, there are plenty of other options.
Quality is always better than quantity. You don't need a 1000W when a quality 550W or 600W can do the job done.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP...words=rm650&qid=1570693891&s=computers&sr=1-1
this is more than fine. You can either go for the 550W but I always choose to have some headroom in case I upgrade to something beefier.

Oct 9, 2019
This photo is from the link you posted about your PSU.
17-152-053-06.jpg

Under +12V shows 32A. Multiply that and you have the 384 as it also shows. The rest Wattage is by adding the 3.3V rail and 5V rail but that does not make any difference to modern PCs.

Also, if you bothered reading the first thread in my previous post, it clearly says under EVGA:

The one you are asking is the N1.
Since you are going to spend as much as that unit has, there are plenty of other options.
Quality is always better than quantity. You don't need a 1000W when a quality 550W or 600W can do the job done.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP...words=rm650&qid=1570693891&s=computers&sr=1-1
this is more than fine. You can either go for the 550W but I always choose to have some headroom in case I upgrade to something beefier.

Oct 9, 2019
Frankly, I'm not buying just based on reviews, I'm looking for something cheap and that supplies the power I need. Getting back to an earlier question, does it seem my issues are most likely power related and that's all? So as for the power, does the psu I linked to earlier seem to have enough output? Is the +12 the 8 pin I need for the gpu? Does this other one seem like it'll do the trick? Apevia ATX-SN900W Signature 900W 80+ Bronze Certified Active PFC ATX Modular Gaming Power Supply, 3 Year Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0741SXKWF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_IvUNDbAVBHSF4

The RX570 doesn't need 500W by itself, those recommended wattage is to encompass pretty much any reasonable system a single GPU may be put in. In reality, your system probably draws around....250-275W. But there are always short power spikes above that number which the PSU needs to be able to handle.

Here's a worthwhile (free) test. Go into AMD Settings - WattMan - Global WattMan, and slide the "power limit" slider all the way down and see if that improves your current situation at all.

Have you tried DDU yet?

Have you tried installing a different GPU driver version?

Check to make sure the power cable going into your GPU is fully latched.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019
The RX570 doesn't need 500W by itself, those recommended wattage is to encompass pretty much any reasonable system a single GPU may be put in. In reality, your system probably draws around....250-275W. But there are always short power spikes above that number which the PSU needs to be able to handle.

Here's a worthwhile (free) test. Go into AMD Settings - WattMan - Global WattMan, and slide the "power limit" slider all the way down and see if that improves your current situation at all.

Have you tried DDU yet?

Thank you, I will look around and try the watt man slider. I have indeed tried several different drivers, the card is indeed fully latched, I have not tried ddu yet, I actually hadn't heard of it until just before work yesterday but did place it on my pc to try today

Don't forget to click "apply" after moving the slider.

Also, if you turn your PC off, make sure you check to make sure the slider is in the correct position after each cold boot. I've had issues with some driver versions (none lately) where the WattMan settings don't apply (or apply correctly) on cold boot, but restarting fixes the issue.

Oct 9, 2019
Don't forget to click "apply" after moving the slider.

Also, if you turn your PC off, make sure you check to make sure the slider is in the correct position after each cold boot. I've had issues with some driver versions (none lately) where the WattMan settings don't apply (or apply correctly) on cold boot, but restarting fixes the issue.
I can't seem to find anywhere to adjust the wattage. Where in the amd settings program is it located?

Oct 9, 2019

Have you tried DDU yet?

Oct 9, 2019
Thank you, that all seemed like promising advice as I was uninstalling via ddu, but sadly it didn't change anything after re installing. I guess it's most likely either not enough power, or faulty gpu card? Can anyone verify the psu I linked to late yesterday would be enough to power the gpu?