Make monitor still work after lid is closed

tj249x

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
Hello, I am using a Windows 10 laptop and I searched everywhere about this but came with no answers. How do I make the laptop monitor still work even after closing the lid? I have already went to "Changing what closing the lid does" to "Do Nothing" for both with battery and without battery in "Power Options". But after I do this, when I close the lid, the monitor just becomes black in colour and becomes normal when I open it. However, I would want to make it still work when the lid is closed i.e. to make it not go black.
Any Ideas?

Thanks!

tj249x

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015

Can you please just tell me if u know? If you really insist on knowing why, please let me know. But please can you help me?

tj249x

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015

Ok so I am a gamer and I just want to stay online in a game. Now can anyone tell me how to do this?

USAFRet

Titan

The monitor on or off does not (should not) affect the laptop staying on, and being online.

tj249x

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015

Well I am asking because I've done that before and it just kicked me out. But my screen is on, it doesn't kick me out.

tj249x

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015

No I am looking at the right setting because I use a bot to play for me overnight and the bot cant detect stuff when the screen is black. And I don't want to keep my laptop open the whole night. So is there a solution for this or no?

tj249x

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015

tj249x

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015

sry but I already did that. the laptop monitor does nothing its just that the screen goes black. doesn't go to sleep or anything. just black. when I open my lid again, it becomes normal. I just want this screen to stay on the whole time

I don't know that what you want to do is possible. There may be a mechanical switch that is activated when the laptop is closed that over rides any software settings you may make. Removing that switch , if you can locate it, may not be possible. The easy answer it to put an opaque cloth or something like that over the screen.

tj249x

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015

so there is no other option? like going to settings or something? I did not get this problem for my previous laptops. Its just that this laptop does this.

tj249x

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015

Ok let me see if I have a mechanical switch somewhere. And if there is, where would It be located?

P.S. My laptop is a HP EliteBook 8460p.

The switch would be located somewhere around the hinge. It may not even be visible without taking the laptop apart. it may even be a magnetic switch.
I suggest you contact HP for any possible solution.

Jul 31, 2019
the lid switch is a magnetic sensor activated by a magnet in the LCD bezel. The power from the motherboard to the Inverter, is cut off when the Display Switch Module is depressed. Use a magnet and swipe it sound the outside bezel of your laptop. You should feel when the magnet reacts to the one in the cover. Now you have the position in the lid. Move the lid to the close position, wherever the magnet position of the LCD cover meets the bottom case, is where the sensor should be located. It is entirely possible that you dislodged the magnet when you replaced the LCD. On some of the older models it was about an inch from the right hinge. if you just remove the magnet, it won't turn off the screen.