MakerBot Deletes AR-15 Rifle 3D Blueprints

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I bet someone at the Department of Defense wanted the blueprint. Some might say that because the rifle broke after a few shots, 3D printing rifles are useless.10-20 years from now, 3D printers will be able to use different materials.[/citation]
Yep, it broke after 5 or 6 shots, but that is irrelevant. First of all plastics and resins 3D printers use cannot be detected by metal detectors. Second there's a lot of situations in which criminal have need to fire just one single bullet.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I bet someone at the Department of Defense wanted the blueprint. Some might say that because the rifle broke after a few shots, 3D printing rifles are useless.10-20 years from now, 3D printers will be able to use different materials.[/citation]

you are competing with metal

remember that, will plastic ever out do metal?

sure we may have a solder 3d printer, but i don't think we will ever get a straight metal one. not because its impossible, oh not, just because it would be far cheaper and faster to mill the metal than to print it, probably also given a better part over all. i have no doubt that a 3d printer could probably hang with traditional solutions in any material they use, but metal is one that i will highly doubt will ever come out.

[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]What would those other materials be?There already are 3D printers capable of working with powdered metals but you can imagine that fusing metal layer-by-layer is a far slower, more energy-intensive and more expensive process. There are also companies working on "printers" capable of printing small buildings (like homes) out of concrete.The limits of 3D printing today already extend far beyond low-temperature polymers/plastics if you can afford the patience and cost.[/citation]

buildings make sense because you can build them modularly and save cost of not needing to be on site the whole time.

metal, i highly doubt it will come around outside of solder. [citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]The problem with this article is...no one understands American gun laws. The people commenting here do not get it. The AR rifle is a unique firearm in that the BATFE has designated the lower receiver as "the firearm" and all other parts are merely mechanical parts. Only the lower receiver has a serial number on it. It is also unique because the part of the gun that is designated as "the firearm" does not withstand any forces of combustion or ballistics. Look at the pic. See that light blue part? That is the ONLY part that is 3D printed. The rest of it is mail ordered as non-firearm parts. Let me state it another way...THIS IS THE ONLY firearm in America which can be produced via 3D printing because it is the only firearm with the unusual BATFE ruling that states the lower receiver is "the firearm".In europe, they designate the barrel as "the firearm", and all other parts are merely parts. You can't print a barrel via 3D printing and expect it to function.[/citation]

actually, you could....

it wont be accurate, and will break after a few shots, but you could definitely do some damage... this ar would be more accurate for however many shots you get, but a barrel would get 1 semi decent range shot and several good short range shots before being useless.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]It's kinda hard to predict 1-2 decades into the future. Nobody predicted the iPhone back in 1995.[/citation]

yes... yes they could.
the first pda, 1992
tell me the person who made it didnt imagine the day that it would be as powerful as a computer (really good enough for the masses to not care, but thats semantics)

Status
Not open for further replies.