[SOLVED] Making 100% sure about upgrade.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Great I got my refund back of my Samsung EVO 2TB SSD, so sad to see it go it was a great drive.

But just now before I Click the purchase button on my new Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVMe & Seagate 2TB HDD drives witch I will be purchasing in stead of the Samsung 2TB SSD, I just want to make 100% sure that these drives are going to be compatible with my Gigabyte B460M D3H rev.1 Bios version F2, especially the NVMe?

I under stand that the Samsung 980 Pro is capable of Gen4 speed, but that my motherboard is only capable of Gen3 speed, and that I will only be utilizing full speed of the drive in the future when I upgrade my motherboard again.

Reactions: athansd
What caused a refund on the 2tb samsung EVO ?

Compatible, yes.
But. the 980 PRO is not noticeably faster in actual use.

To my mind, giving up 2tb ssd in favor of 1tb ssd and a HDD is a step backward.

Most activity is small random I/O and you will not notice the better sequential potential of the pcie ssd
For whatever you put on a HDD, it will be some 40x slower in random I/O
A HDD is reasonably good to store bulk sequential data like video files.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
What caused a refund on the 2tb samsung EVO ?

Compatible, yes.
But. the 980 PRO is not noticeably faster in actual use.

To my mind, giving up 2tb ssd in favor of 1tb ssd and a HDD is a step backward.

Most activity is small random I/O and you will not notice the better sequential potential of the pcie ssd
For whatever you put on a HDD, it will be some 40x slower in random I/O
A HDD is reasonably good to store bulk sequential data like video files.

I am still in fact only upgrading from a Samsung EVO 500Gb SSD, so the 2TB SSD was just a test to see if I would play more of my games if I had them all installed at the same time, but I did not over a ten day period, thus because from the performance test result I noted that my weakest component in my pc was still my boot drive, I derived that is what would be the most gainful part to upgrade, regardless of one more terabyte of witch I still had one terabyte left on the 2TB SSD when all games owned were installed.

I am storing my games on one of my 2TB HDD's , the other I'm storing my movies on, and the third 2TB witch I'm going to be purchasing now along with the new NVMe is just a drive I'm scoring for free actually because I am going to be making my purchase from another store with better prices on both drives, haven't really thought about what I'm going to use the third HDD for, but I'm sure it will find a nice purpose in my pc in the future, might also just become a backup drive, and none of the HDD's will be a boot drive like I'm doing now with only Two HDD's in my pc.

The good input I'm reading is that what I'm doing, is compatible... much appreciated.

Last edited: