[SOLVED] Making a Backup / Clone with Acronis True Image 2020 doesn t work

Partitionmissing

Prominent
Oct 25, 2020
Hey there,
So after my system c ssd was fried a coupleof days ago i bought a new one and got my pc with win10 pro up and running again. Everything is working like before and all my data is still there. Now to my inital Problem i tried making a clone of my system c ssd on an external hdd and that worked like a charm now i also wanted to make a clone or backup of my other ssd which has important photoshop data and other stuff on it which i really don t want to lose in case of an fatal error. Now after i switched my external hdd to another one ( both are working fine and have no problems. They also have enough space available for everything.) to get my other internal ssd cloned with the important data on it an error occured at the end of the cloning procces which looked similar to this screenshot i got from another user. It says that i should run chkdsk. I know a bit about that and used it in the past but i am not sure anymore which command i need to use to repair that error from Acronis and if that command will damage anything that is on my ssd like making files unreadable or even deleting them.

I will also include a Screenshot from Crystal disk which shows the ssd i want to backup / clone.

View: https://twitter.com/Hanspeter12315/status/1426251765482151941/photo/1

View: https://twitter.com/Hanspeter12315/status/1426252073901899778/photo/1

those are the links to the screenshots

Solution
For a non-OS drive, 'cloning' is not really needed.
And if there are ANY issues with the source drive, it will probably fail partway through.
Copy/Paste is all that is really required.

First off, just copy the data from the current drive tot he external. Not a clone.
And go folder by folder, not the whole thing at once.
You may find some sub sub folder is corrupt and won't allow a clone operation to complete.

USAFRet

Titan
For a non-OS drive, 'cloning' is not really needed.
And if there are ANY issues with the source drive, it will probably fail partway through.
Copy/Paste is all that is really required.

First off, just copy the data from the current drive tot he external. Not a clone.
And go folder by folder, not the whole thing at once.
You may find some sub sub folder is corrupt and won't allow a clone operation to complete.

Solution

Partitionmissing

Prominent
Oct 25, 2020
would that really work i had some problems in the past with a back than installed hdd which also had some photoshop files on it and by only coping it photoshop wouldn t open them cause somehow the path was wrong ? That's my main problem with the whole backup stuff i mainly want those files to work cause some of them are really important and my old backup which i have is missing some new stuff

USAFRet

Titan
would that really work i had some problems in the past with a back than installed hdd which also had some photoshop files on it and by only coping it photoshop wouldn t open them cause somehow the path was wrong ? That's my main problem with the whole backup stuff i mainly want those files to work cause some of them are really important and my old backup which i have is missing some new stuff
If it all ends in the same folder tree structure, with the same drive letter..it will work.

The OS and application on the C drive will not know the difference.
Additionally, this is a backup. For use if the original drive gets corrupted or it dies. Not an actual drive to be used all the time.

Partitionmissing

Prominent
Oct 25, 2020
i am sorry for this probably stupid question but if the internal ssd has the drive letter d for example and photoshop 2020 installed on it and some photoshop files and i copy the folders over to an external hdd with the letter g will the system still recognize those files with the correct path if the internal ssd dies and i replace it with a new one copy all the files of the external hdd on it and give it the same letter as the ssd had before ?

USAFRet

Titan
Also, for a backup routine, cloning is not indicated.
I use Macrium Reflect, and create Images. Not a full clone.

If the primary drive dies, I simply slot in a replacement, and recover from the Image.

An Image in Macrium results in a single file, containing the contents of the source. You can store the Images for multiple drives on a single target (of course, it needs to be large enough)

USAFRet

Titan
i am sorry for this probably stupid question but if the internal ssd has the drive letter d for example and photoshop 2020 installed on it and some photoshop files and i copy the folders over to an external hdd with the letter g will the system still recognize those files with the correct path if the internal ssd dies and i replace it with a new one copy all the files of the external hdd on it and give it the same letter as the ssd had before ?
The drive letter would not be changed automagically.

Is the photoshop application on this drive as well as the files?

Partitionmissing

Prominent
Oct 25, 2020
yes it is so maybe to get explain myself a bit better my internal ssd which i want to backup has the drivletter e its a 2tb Samsung evo 870 with arround 300gb on it including the program photoshop 2020 itself and the psd files of various projects. Now i have an external hdd wich has 4tb capacity and the drive letter g it's completely empty. Now to my question if i would copy all the folders from my samsung evo 870 to my external drive and my ssd dies one day and i replace it with a new fresh one which hasn t any data on it will the data still be readable and working if i copy the once already backed up / copied files on it from the externall hdd if i change the drive letter of the replacement ssd back to e again ?

USAFRet

Titan
yes it is so maybe to get explain myself a bit better my internal ssd which i want to backup has the drivletter e its a 2tb Samsung evo 870 with arround 300gb on it including the program photoshop 2020 itself and the psd files of various projects. Now i have an external hdd wich has 4tb capacity and the drive letter g it's completely empty. Now to my question if i would copy all the folders from my samsung evo 870 to my external drive and my ssd dies one day and i replace it with a new fresh one which hasn t any data on it will the data still be readable and working if i copy the once already backed up / copied files on it from the externall hdd if i change the drive letter of the replacement ssd back to e again ?
Yes, that should work.

But manual copying is too much hands on.
As noted above, an application like Macrium Reflect does this automatically.

Images, all on whatever schedule you desire.
Mine does an Incremental or Full image, nightly or weekly, as the particular system needs.
I can recover any individual drive, in the state it was in any day of the last month, on to some new replacement.

Partitionmissing

Prominent
Oct 25, 2020
Hmm okay but isn t Macrium Reflect not similar to Acronis True Image 2020 when it comes to makeing a backup and wont Macrium Reflect run into the same error and Acronis ( the error i posted above in the first message) ?

USAFRet

Titan
Hmm okay but isn t Macrium Reflect not similar to Acronis True Image 2020 when it comes to makeing a backup and wont Macrium Reflect run into the same error and Acronis ( the error i posted above in the first message) ?
Yes, probably will fail.

"And if there are ANY issues with the source drive, it will probably fail partway through. "

Hence why I suggested copy/paste originally.