making an internal HDD to portable hard drive

shaun88

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
I've had two 2.5" hard drives taken from laptops, I made them into portable hard drives by buying the cases for them to go into from ebay, but both of them keep stop working after using them several times, is it because im formatting them wrong? I cant remember if I used FAT32 or NTFS or what
thanks

Solution
Thats odd. NTFS is the best file system for large HDD. Are you transporting these external HDD in a rucksack or something. It may be that they are being knocked-around to much and this is damaging the disk.
Make sure that the external cases you are buying have proper padding around the HDD to reduce vibrations and that the case provides adequate airflow.

Dark antz1

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
Thats odd. NTFS is the best file system for large HDD. Are you transporting these external HDD in a rucksack or something. It may be that they are being knocked-around to much and this is damaging the disk.
Make sure that the external cases you are buying have proper padding around the HDD to reduce vibrations and that the case provides adequate airflow.

Solution