Making build for 1440p 144hz gaming

johnnycheddar78

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
I'm just wondering if I could save money and if this is overkill or not. Looking to clock the CPU to 4.5 GHz or higher

Build;https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Bc8QZR

Thanks!

Solution
Looks like your case comes with a 120mm fan up top and a 120mm on the back. There are a lot of different ways you could arrange things, but personally, I think I would put the H100i on the top as exhaust and move the top 120mm fan to the front of the case as intake. And yeah, I'd probably want another 120mm up front for intake as well. Your CPU cooler will do a good job of keeping your CPU cool, but when overclocking you also want to keep your motherboard, especially the VRMs cool as well. I get the impression you're really wanting a solid overclock. If that's the case, I'd definitely recommend adding a second 120mm to the front.
There are a number of things that will ultimately decide what you'll be able to hit for your OC. The cooler is a good one so you have that in your favor. Your motherboard is also a pretty good one with 10 VRM power phases, so you have that on your side. Your PSU is good quality, check. Good quality ram. It's looking like it's all down to what is called the silicone lottery. Hopefully you get a good OCable CPU!

If I had to take a wild guess and rub my crystal ball, 5.0Ghz is reasonable with your setup, but you won't know until you try.

P.S. Case airflow will also play a big part, so keep that in mind when building. Good cable management helps.

Looks like your case comes with a 120mm fan up top and a 120mm on the back. There are a lot of different ways you could arrange things, but personally, I think I would put the H100i on the top as exhaust and move the top 120mm fan to the front of the case as intake. And yeah, I'd probably want another 120mm up front for intake as well. Your CPU cooler will do a good job of keeping your CPU cool, but when overclocking you also want to keep your motherboard, especially the VRMs cool as well. I get the impression you're really wanting a solid overclock. If that's the case, I'd definitely recommend adding a second 120mm to the front.

Solution
The back only supports one 120mm and it's included with the case.

Also, looks like my suggestion above won't work for fan placement. It looks like the radiator only fits on the front panel. So you have a choice.

Option one: Leave the top and rear 120mm fans as they are, exhaust. Attach the h100i to the font of the case as intake.

Option two: Turn the top and rear 120mm fans around so they are intake and attach the h100i to the front as exhaust.

If it were me, I'd do both and test my temperatures to see what is better. Option one will get you better CPU temps as you are bringing cool air from outside to cool the radiator. But you are also blowing warm air from the radiator onto the VRMs. Option two would be using warmer air in the case to cool you rad, but your VRM temps should be better.