[SOLVED] Making my own plex server

Jul 16, 2019
Hi everyone
I want to make my own 24/7 server to be able to stream videos in Plex on my tv and also being able to share it with my friend over internet.
I was able to choose the parts that I like to use, but i was not sure if these are good choice for what i am using.
Also i did not add any graphic card since it is just for server. let me know if I need it.
Also if I am missing anything in my shopping list i would appreciate any help.
I have never set up a computer or server this is my first one.
here is the list:
1- seagate SATA 6gb/s 3.5 inch 4TB Desktop HDD (total of 2)
2-Thermaltake View 71 4-Sided Tempered Glass Vertical GPU Modular SPCC E-ATX Gaming Full Tower Computer Case with 2 Blue LED Riing Fan Pre-installed CA-1I7-00F1WN-00
3-Gigabyte C246-WU4 (Intel C246 Express Chipset/ATX/DDR4/Dual Intel Server GbE LAN/10xSATA3/2xM.2/Server Motherboard)
4-Kingston Technology HyperX Fury Black 32GB 2666MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM Kit of 2 (HX426C16FBK2/32)
5- Intel Core i7-8700K Desktop Processor 6 Cores up to 4.7GHz Turbo Unlocked LGA1151 300 Series 95W 6- Cooler Master MLX-D36M-A20PC-R1 MasterLiquid ML360R Addressable RGB AIO CPU Liquid Cooler 28 Independently-Controlled LEDs Triple 120mm ARGB Air Balance MF
7- ARCTIC MX-4 - Thermal Compound Paste For Coolers | Heat Sink Paste | Composed of Carbon Micro-particles | Easy to Apply | High Durability - 4 Grams 8- CORSAIR RMx Series, RM1000x, 1000 Watt, 80+ Gold , Fully Modular Power Supply (Renewed)

thanks

Solution
Setting up the Plex server is relatively easy.

System requirements:

This is the hard part to get right:
" and also being able to share it with my friend over internet. "

Opening up your internal LAN to the outside world can be hazardous.
If your friend can access your 'server', maybe someone else can as well.

Tread carefully here.

USAFRet

Titan
Setting up the Plex server is relatively easy.

System requirements:

This is the hard part to get right:
" and also being able to share it with my friend over internet. "

Opening up your internal LAN to the outside world can be hazardous.
If your friend can access your 'server', maybe someone else can as well.

Tread carefully here.

Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
With the specs you list above that would work well to be a Plex server and a primary use machine at the same time. I would warn to stay a bit above the "minimum" specs with the build, such that there are issues particularly with running multiple streams. I recently tried to build a Plex server that was right above those minimums and had issues not only with library contents being wrong, but also in resolving the video streams to other devices. As a poster above mentioned, I was at one point using an i5 8th gen and it was WAY more than enough.

As to the stream sharing, I am not sure I would be terribly concerned about that regard. It's done within Plex's service and requires an (easy) authentication process to make happen. It isn't like you are just blindly opening a port to the WAN.