[SOLVED] Making some changes to current system build.

ShortTerm

Prominent
Dec 24, 2019
I recently upgraded my system to an rtx 3070 and at the time picked up a Coolermaster MasterWatt 650w PSU to power it, but after purchasing it was noted that it might not be a great choice to pair with the 3070. Also i've noticed what sounds like a sudden BZZT sound every now and then from the region the PSU is located in... With that sad I think it's time to change the PSU to make sure i'm not hurting my system. At the same time i've noticed that my case seems to have poor air flow and bad filtration ( also not the best thermals ) Looking to upgrade from the pretty budget case I currently have to something with more solid air flow and better thermal results. Likewise I wouldn't mind upgrading my fans to help carry air.

GPU/CPU: RTX 3070 - Ryzen 5 3600x

PSU: Coolermaster Masterwatt 650w

Tower:
Matrexx 55 Deepcool

Current Tower Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo Black ( Single Stock Silencio Fan )

Current Fans: 5x Offbrand aRGB fans. ( I dont care for RGB anymore, grown out of the phase of caring. )

Approximate Purchase Date: Ready to commit.

Budget Range: 300$

System Usage from Most to Least Important: My system is nearly always on. Medium 1080p gaming, lost of video streaming.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Power Supply, Tower, fans/cooling.

Overclocking: Maybe, if cooling can prevent unnecessary component ware.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1080p 144hz

Additional Comments: My biggest goal is to overall improve the quality of life for my existing components.

Solution
D
settled on the Fractal Design Meshify 2 for a case, has all the comforts i've been looking for.

my last concern is fans. Stuck between getting a few Noctua fans, or filling the case with Arctic P12/F12 fans everywhere and getting a second fan on the tower cooler.

Like whats the variation from 5 excellent fans, or 10 mid-range fans. Any thoughts? I dont consider system noise an issue at all.

Good choice on the case... as for fans, I swapped out the stock fans and threw in 5x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm PWM High-Speed, BL071, Cooling Fan (3 front, 1 bottom, 1 rear) and put my 360mm Z73 rad up top. The fans are pricey... but they are as advertised.

Good luck!

Adam0ne

Proper
Feb 9, 2021
Toms hardware did have recommendations on the PSU. I would look to the Seasonic and Corsair. I think you should do the 750W. Look for a PSU with great "power good" signal.

Your case works. Sure, there are better cases out there. But it depends on your preference and whats included in it. You want a case with good airflow, preferrably unrestricted front entry, rear and top exit points. You would want something spacious enough for better circulation and future builds/upgrades.

Check the usual brands like Thermaltake, Lian-Li, and Antec. They might have some good deals now that would fit the spec you need.

Note: Check https://pcpartpicker.com/ for references on builds.

ShortTerm

Prominent
Dec 24, 2019
settled on the Fractal Design Meshify 2 for a case, has all the comforts i've been looking for. Corsair RM750x looks to be a solid choice for PSU as well.

my last concern is fans. Stuck between getting a few Noctua fans, or filling the case with Arctic P12/F12 fans everywhere and getting a second fan on the tower cooler.

Like whats the variation from 5 excellent fans, or 10 mid-range fans. Any thoughts? I dont consider system noise an issue at all.

D

Deleted member 2838871

settled on the Fractal Design Meshify 2 for a case, has all the comforts i've been looking for.

Good choice on the case... as for fans, I swapped out the stock fans and threw in 5x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm PWM High-Speed, BL071, Cooling Fan (3 front, 1 bottom, 1 rear) and put my 360mm Z73 rad up top. The fans are pricey... but they are as advertised.

Good luck!

Solution