[SOLVED] malwarbytes problem

i dont have the program running from boot up but after i have done a scan and closed the program , parts of it are still running. In the running apps part of task manager it shows the malwarebytes tray application as running. In the background processes column it shows antimalware services executable as using 83% of my cpu power. So why are they running after i have closed it.

Solution
Seems you both reached the same conclusion and reported it within 7 minutes of each other.

Only way to fix the defender anti malware from doing that is use another AV.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
AV programs will stay in the background constantly scanning stuff unless you explicitly tell it to close from the system tray icon.

Are you sure "Antimalware Services Executable" is Malwarebytes? I remember this as Windows Security's thing. Can you right click and "Open file location" on it on the Task Manager?

And check Windows Security is automatically turned off from its dashboard. It should say "Malwarebytes is protecting this device" etc.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Many programs do that after you run them once in a day, its likely there is a way to remove the system tray icon in options of malwarebytes (I can't look as its not on this pc). It shouldn't be running scans after you close it though.

Does win 10 recognise Malwarebytes as AV now? thin ice.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
I have done a bit of tinkering-installed Malwarebytes and kicked the trial on-to get some data on it.

First of all, Malwarebytes does not run under any "Antimalware Service Executable", it has its own "Malwarebytes Service" located under "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe".

However, Windows has its own "Antimalware Service Executable" under "C:\ProgramData\Windows Defender\Platform\<version>\MsMpEng.exe" which supplies real-time protection if there is no other AV that offers this. (Theoretically, this means it'll kick up in the free version of MB. Did not confirm though. All I know is that the trial version is recognized as a proper AV.)

Screenshot-2020-10-18-174611.png

That said, MB has a noticeable weight when scanning, and does easily hoard a %40-%50 memory-CPU time on my entry level laptop. Still though, %83 is absurd (may be too low specs too, I'd take this with a grain of salt) and a full reinstall of the AV may fix it.