Malwarebytes 3.0 Offers Built-In Anti-Exploit And Anti-Ransomware Features, And Faster Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
soo... by anti-ransomeware I wonder if they mean, create a folder in the root of the disk and name it 00000000000 and create a file and monitor it for any changes?

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

That would be one option, but some strains only hit the usual docs, downloads, pictures, etc folders and sometimes mapped network drives. I'd say it more monitors the disk access and shuts it down after serially accessing files. It makes me wonder how it would handle programs that do something like batch picture resolution downsizing....

Asusprime

Reputable
Jul 11, 2014
I only play games and watch manga. Once I got a virus while looking for a rom file to fix a galaxy s5 (idiot cousin). The virus uninstalled Malwarebytes, disabled windows defender and didnt let me reset the OS (Windows 10 recovery). The moment i realized I had a virus (like 1 min) I uplugged the ethernet cable and tried for like 2 hours to clean my PC. Not amount of messing with the registry helped me bring back Defender and there was no anti virus I could install (malwarebytes was taken out by virus). I gave up and formatted the drive, new installation within 20 mins (SSD installing via USB). If I had been someone else, with important files in my PC, then I would had been screwed, luckily I game on my PC and have my photos in my phone. Regardless, I dont have anything worth targeting so the hacks would had gotten shit.

philipemaciel

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
The new version is all fine and dandy, seems to work well, but boy, is this heavy while scanning! Maxes out my 7800 cores for like two minutes. They should give it a lower priority, the machine gets almost unusable while scanning. This did not happen with 2.0.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
I've always found it the least effective. I use 3-4 different products if cleaning a bare drive in a caddy. MWB will be the one that finds nothing while the other three all find something. I've also found it it does find some stuff you then run another scan after with it and it will find more!?! Also it was always the slowest finishing at least 25 minutes later than all the other scans.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
They really fucked up with version 3.0 on CPU usage. All of my cores in 10 CPU hit 98% making computer unusable, are they insane?

AliusBU

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016

I'd be curious to know which other products you use for scanning that have more effective scanning results so I can give them a try. Disappointing to hear they might have screwed up so badly with CPU usage with the new release too.

alextheblue

Distinguished
I'll give the new version some time to bake before I look at it. But generally speaking I have liked Malwarebytes... but I always use it in conjunction with other products, when there's an infection.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Having been using v2 for at least a year now (and very happy with it), I decided to try the v3. It seemed to install fine (W7 x64) but then it never got to activate properly. I tried multiple times, uninstalling and re-installing - no go... I went back to v2 and happy again. I did notice that v2 installs in the x86 Program files, while v3 installs in the x64 - maybe they have not realised that different security levels are used there...

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Well just tried the latest version. Did a complete scan in around 4 minutes, used 50% CPU on a 5820K. Found 14 items (14 more than usual)! Unfortunately for MWB they were all false positives. Useless.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
To even hint that the OS can do it all, or that a piece of software can stop threats is just idiotic. Any IT professional knows that hardening a network or system is multi-factor.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
IDK, what everyone else is running but I am having no issues with the new version on an i7 with 32gb of ram. (even a 2nd gen i7) not some fancy new pc. When I hear people complain about performance, it is typically because they are using atoms', celerons, i3's or i5's....... with 2 or 4gb of ram.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Yes, as long as you don't use the active detection on both. For example I use Malware bytes with Bitdefender - Bitdefender is always active and I only do manual scans with MB every now and then.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

Common sense (or not so common anymore) makes all the difference. I feel there needs to be better, free classes on information security. Something to make the public aware of common things to keep an eye on. Like, playing minesweeper with download buttons on places like sourceforge.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Experience helps, people need to learn from their mistakes, they don't appear to learn from others. I have never had a virus active on my PC's, though I have found inactive ones in old download folders. Never used torrents, don't use download.com so no extra programs get installed via their launchers, always untick extra program offers when installing things.

Media has scared my mother out of clicking anything she doesn't understand, so there is that.
I don't know if I trust malwarebytes claim that you don't need AV, I need a second opinion from someone who doesn't work for them. We shall see I guess. I bet if you install it on Win 10, defender will still insist on running.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

About the only AV I've ever had respect for is Kaspersky. Using it in a corporate environment it kicked butt. But then again it's AV, don't expect miracles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS