Man Quits Job; Now Makes Millions Fighting Spam

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
These Spammers are pissing me off, so I'm going to quit my job, go to school full time for 4 years, and go fight them!!

Sounds realistic. Why don't we all do that? Oh yeah, because we don't have enough money in the bank to pay for four years of law school and if we've been working we sure can't get a grant.

But...thanks for fighting spam for us. Please tell us your secret.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]candrwhite[/nom]I'm a bit torn here.. I mean I hate spam as much as anyone, but all of the small little law suits he's filing could be considered spamming the courts. And with all of his suits, has spam really been diminished all that much? I'm not seeing a reduction in my filters.[/citation]
He's not spamming the courts, he's using them as they were intended. It's like signing up for an e-newsletter. Comes in right next to the spam, and via the same channels, except it was intentional. These spammers are breaking the law, and the law states that he can sue them. Nothing wrong with following the law.
I wouldn't expect to see a noticeable reduction in overall spam unless many more people do the exact same thing this person is doing. Until spamming consistently loses money, it will still exist. Also, you're never going to get rid of the ones from other countries.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]jj463rd[/nom]I agree with duk3 however the spammers here at Toms Hardware seem to be mostly businesses in China (from domain lookups) so it could be unlikely that a lawsuit would be effective.citation]
SHEEESH! I could tell from their English!

yzfr1guy

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]SEND HIM OVER HERE TO TOM'S.[/citation]
+1
Toms outrageous spam is annoying as hell and the reason I hardly visit the site anymore...

LuigiVN

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
I keep receiving mails from indian guys who want to split his fortunes with me... Or that his wife's got cancer and needs 10 hundred bucks... I hope this guy gets them and they stop filling my SPAM folder, that one is for facebook notifications..

HappyBB

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
Wow! I want to fight spams as well so that I can bring myself more money! Seriously, I really hate spam. I wish all those spamming companies disappear!

This article has given me a relapse in my PTSD ... Post traumatic SPAM Disorder.

My left eye is twitching uncontrollably ...as is my right index finger ... ban and supress ... ban and supress ...

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
yeah those full page popovers on Toms are horrible. I remember complaining about the 1/4 window pop ups but now we have a full page and sometimes you have to scroll up two pages to the top to click on skip for some stupid advertisement of something that I don't want to buy or actually even the ad makes me say "oh gee I guess I won't EVER buy from HP again" :D it works backward for the spamming company on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.