[SOLVED] Manage ips on a workgroup

david_621

Commendable
Feb 24, 2017
Hi, im fairly new to networking but i had a question hopefully someone can help with.

I have a lot of pcs to manage 300+ and they are all on a workgroup with the same pc name. but we have to switch them out when they break or need fixed.

So then we have to re setup the ip and its all good.

but we seem to be having moving ips.. like each ip has a specfic seat # it goes to but it seems like they are loosing their lease (not dhcp but all static)
if i just plug it in it will auto get an ip within our range. its either that or someone is just being lazy. (prob this)

But i'm wondering other than at the switch level with port based ip management is there any way to reliably manage that many ips??

and before you ask we dont have a domain, active directory, dhcp server or anything else a business of this size should have.

Solution
thanks for all the info btw. will talk to my boss about setting up inhouse dhcp server. i believe those are managed switches but that wouldn't matter would it?

First you would need to figure out the exact(!) requirements on your infrastructure. Maybe there is a very specific reason for the current setup. Do you want to keep having IP assigned by port? Then a dhcp server will probably not help much. You would need to go into the switch configuration, which can be quite tedious, depending on the switch.
If you want machine-based static IPs, then a dhcp server, combined with an AD server and DNS will get you a long way (you can install all these roles on the same Server). Or you can ofc just assign an IP to each machine manually...

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
and before you ask we dont have a domain, active directory, dhcp server or anything else a business of this size should have.

Without DHCP you will have tons of trouble managing that amount of addresses. Moreover, using DHCP, machines normally keep their IPs, as the same IP will get re-leased 95% of the time. Just as good as static imo.
AD is unnecessary for IP management anyways, but paired with a DNS it would sure help with assigning IPs to specific host names, which is exactly what you want.

Last edited:

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
but we seem to be having moving ips.. like each ip has a specfic seat # it goes to but it seems like they are loosing their lease (not dhcp but all static)
How do the ports lose static IPs???
You should probably check if not your gateways' (switches and routers) built-in DHCP is messing with you. Also try to you keep your IP-Range equivalent to the amount of ports available/assigned maybe, for testing.

I would suggest assigning IPs based on MAC. Whenever you swap a machine, you would need to update the MAC, though. Keep in mind, though, that some machines might have multiple NICs (wired / wireless), which also gives them multiple MACs to take into account.
By the way, what switch are you using?

Last edited:

david_621

Commendable
Feb 24, 2017
How do the ports lose static IPs???
You should probably check if not your gateways' (switches and routers) built-in DHCP is messing with you. Also try to you keep your IP-Range equivalent to the amount of ports available/assigned maybe, for testing.

I would suggest assigning IPs based on MAC. Whenever you swap a machine, you would need to update the MAC, though. Keep in mind, though, that some machines might have multiple NICs (wired / wireless), which also gives them multiple MACs to take into account.
By the way, what switch are you using?

HP Pro Curve 2510G-48 we have like 15 ish of them

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
thanks for all the info btw. will talk to my boss about setting up inhouse dhcp server. i believe those are managed switches but that wouldn't matter would it?

First you would need to figure out the exact(!) requirements on your infrastructure. Maybe there is a very specific reason for the current setup. Do you want to keep having IP assigned by port? Then a dhcp server will probably not help much. You would need to go into the switch configuration, which can be quite tedious, depending on the switch.
If you want machine-based static IPs, then a dhcp server, combined with an AD server and DNS will get you a long way (you can install all these roles on the same Server). Or you can ofc just assign an IP to each machine manually, but good luck keeping track of the IP pool.
I wonder how you manage user rights in the company. You actively go to each computer and set them up by hand? Or can everyone do whatever they please on your machines?

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS