[SOLVED] Managed to bend some pins while putting 3900x in it's plastic cover

charpour

Commendable
Sep 24, 2019
Stupidity kicked in while I was placing the CPU back in it's box, carelessly got it upside down and bent some pins while closing it up, can be seen in the screenshots below:

IMG-20210718-155728.jpg

IMG-20210718-161017.jpg

I know it doesn't look awfully bad, can something go wrong while bending them back (haven't done that before)? Any tips?

Thanks

Solution
Thanks, got a razor blade, however it seems to be flexing thus not sure it'll do the job.
I guess I'll try he mechanical pencil approach
The advantage of the "pentel" method is the tip of the pencil supports the back side of the pin close to the very bottom, and all along it's length, which helps keep the pin straight. Just pushing it over is not so well controlled and might end up bowing the pin. A bowed pin can make it hard to drop into or take out of the the socket (very bad) or not make reliable contact (which could be just as bad).

artavasdes

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
At least its on the corner in not some place in the middle of the cpu. Should be easy to fix it. From the looks of it, you just gotta bend 2-3 of the pins, the others near it look fine. Most people use razor blades, but i would suggest looking up some guy doing it on youtube just to make sure.

Reactions: charpour
Thanks, got a razor blade, however it seems to be flexing thus not sure it'll do the job.
I guess I'll try he mechanical pencil approach
The advantage of the "pentel" method is the tip of the pencil supports the back side of the pin close to the very bottom, and all along it's length, which helps keep the pin straight. Just pushing it over is not so well controlled and might end up bowing the pin. A bowed pin can make it hard to drop into or take out of the the socket (very bad) or not make reliable contact (which could be just as bad).

Solution