Question Manually clean and align misaligned platters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 23, 2022
Hi,

My HDD head was partially damaged, so I did the dumb thing and swapped the platters to a new HDD instead of swapping the head stack assembly, to make matters worst, I did leave some minor fingerprints on the platters while doing so, assembled the HDD and tried it (didn't leave it on for too long though).

The hard drive in question is a Seagate (laptop version) 250Gb, it's PCB Logic Board: 100484444 REV A, it has two platters.

I'm planning on getting a new HDD (same model as the damaged one i have), swap the bios and platters (after cleaning them), Then i will mark the platters and move the top one (let's say 0.5mm at a time) and try if it's gets detected, repeat the process until it's aligned.
I'm planning on doing everything in a clean room.

How likely that this is going to work?
Is there a specific product i can use for cleaning the platters?

Thanks in advance

Apr 23, 2022
Is there any life changing data on this drive?

just some old photos, not that important.
I would love to get my data back, but if i don't it's not the end of the world, and it's definitely not worth that ($1000 or more) fee.

I will try it anyway, if you have any advice or remarks on how i planed to do it, please do share.

Thank you.

USAFRet

Titan
just some old photos, not that important.
I would love to get my data back, but if i don't it's not the end of the world, and it's definitely not worth that ($1000 or more) fee.

I will try it anyway, if you have any advice or remarks on how i planed to do it, please do share.

Thank you.
Given what you've already done - fingerprints! - no, I have no advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.