Question Manually Configuring Memory Overclock Instead of XMP or EXPO?

ASwagBullfrog

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2015
Hi yall. So for starters I have a AsRock B650m Pro RS Wifi paired with an 7900X and A-DATA XPG 16x2 DDR5 7200. I was curious if its at all possible to overclock RAM manually instead of using XMP or EXPO? Like could i manually tune it say 6000 MHz? My board doesn't support 7200 at 32 GHz. So my memory is currently running at around 2400 MHz and it just seems low for current standards.

Lutfij

Titan
A-DATA XPG 16x2 DDR5 7200
Might want to pass on the link to the ram kit you're working with. Universal knowledge is that you should stick to DDR5-6000MHz that's advertised to have AMD's E.X.P.O on it's package or site listing. If that doesn't exist, you will need to drop in ram kits that are shown on the memory QVL for you motherboard. With that being said, if you do want to get to DDR5-7200MHz as stated in the spec's page of your motherboard;
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B650M Pro RS WiFi/index.asp#Specification
then you will need to adhere to the memory QVL strictly.

So my memory is currently running at around 2400 MHz and it just seems low for current standards.
That's DDR5-4800MHz.

Just an FYI, I don't see you going to DDR5-7200MHz even manually inputting values in BIOS.

I did recommend a DDR5-6600MHz ram kit from Corsair's Dominator Titanium lineup for a friend's build and they cost a pretty penny but it didn't have AMD's E.X.P.O advertised on it, though I'm assuming it's the higher quality of IC binning that allowed the ram kit to work on an MSI B650I Edge WiFi without a hiccup for the past 5 months.

Last edited:
Hi yall. So for starters I have a AsRock B650m Pro RS Wifi paired with an 7900X and A-DATA XPG 16x2 DDR5 7200. I was curious if its at all possible to overclock RAM manually instead of using XMP or EXPO? Like could i manually tune it say 6000 MHz? My board doesn't support 7200 at 32 GHz. So my memory is currently running at around 2400 MHz and it just seems low for current standards.
Proper bios?
Ram in the proper slots?