Manus VR Glove Peripheral Dev Kits Cost $250, Available Q2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
This is exciting, I was waiting for a good glove to come out on VR. Looks promising, I'm hoping they have good execution with it.

Pedasc

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
9 Degrees of Freedom, how is that supposed to work?
6 DoF are all you have in a 3D space.
Translation along X, Y and Z; Rotation around u, v and w...

In this case and in robotics it is a measure of capability. It defines the number and function of the sensors/actuators. I deal more with robotics and the DoF is basically the number of single axis joints it has (it can get more complicated). The higher number the more flexibility you have. Having a 9 DoF robot isn't uncommon or even that extreme. Of course in that case you introduce more error the more complexity you have.

I would say in this case it defines the number and function of sensors. It would be more accurate than a lower DoF system of similar resolution but would increase bandwidth needed of course.

8R_Scotch

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
I can just imagine the impact this will have on adult content.
I doubt you'd want such a thick/heavy glove on for adult content... washable or not.

This is interesting for more mainstream uses, but the problem with all these is developer/headset ecosystem support. Let's face it, VR is still in it's infancy (pre-birth, actually) and developers are taking risks as it is on it. Attractive input options are going to be Oculus Touch and the Vive's controllers (aside from the included x-box controller that most people who use controllers already use and regular joystics/wheels for specific content that's both simple and best for task).

These gadgets are all interesting, but at best they're technology is going to be incorporated into future options from the big VR players who will dictate the standard.

Hand gesture/motion tracking is the only thing that has a shot in my opinion as it's so natural and full of potential. But the tech is not there just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.