Many New PCs in China Come With Malware Preinstalled

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynewarrior78

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
The first thing I have to do (and I imagine most people on this site) when I buy a new laptop or phone is completely reformat and install the OS due to the incredible amount of bull crap they install on it for you. My asus laptop and Skyrocket phone were useless day 1, awesome day 2 :D

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Block the whole .cn ip range seems more and more like a clever move![/citation]
I made a petition, posted it in the comments of a few "China hackers..." articles, and no one signed it. Maybe everyone's too scared, which means it's too late.

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]waynewarrior78[/nom]The first thing I have to do (and I imagine most people on this site) when I buy a new laptop or phone is completely reformat and install the OS due to the incredible amount of bull crap they install on it for you. My asus laptop and Skyrocket phone were useless day 1, awesome day 2[/citation]
Funny thing, all the bloatware that prebuilt pcs and laptops have make the pc slower than if it was infected.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Anyone else for cutting China off the internet?[/citation]
China is cut from the internet from the inside, except the government sponsored hackers spying from corporations, advance military to cut short their R&D.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]HP/Compaq have been doing this since the 90's[/citation]
Ahh, bringing back memories. Who didn't love getting a new computer with a shiny new copy of Windows Me installed and two dozen HP programs you couldn't remove to "help" you by consuming all of your whopping 128MB of memory.

halcyon

Splendid
Uh duh! While many of the Chinese women are beautiful, they and the guys are smart as hell and can be sneaky. ...prolly doing it for their gov't to spy. Hot Chinese hackers...delicious.

aoneone

May 27, 2011
You'd have to be a COMplete moron to let your own PC be infected with Malware. Anyone with a brain would first isolate your new computer from the Internet, go through each Bios settings, reset , re-format and re-install a fresh copy and just go through driver by driver. Jeezus Christ, this isn't rocket science here, it's just cleaning your PC LOL..

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Aoneone: A typical PC user is supposed to know this? To do a "fresh" install would also mean for the end-user to go out and buy Windows for $100~150 for a fresh-install... as NEW PCs don't actually come with an official Windows OS disc. All they get is a factory-restore, which does nothing.

And YES Aoneone: to typical people - it IS rocket science.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Aoneone: A typical PC user is supposed to know this? To do a "fresh" install would also mean for the end-user to go out and buy Windows for $100~150 for a fresh-install... as NEW PCs don't actually come with an official Windows OS disc. All they get is a factory-restore, which does nothing.And YES Aoneone: to typical people - it IS rocket science.[/citation]
It is not uncommon for the younger generation, IT pros, or hobbiests to take the complexities of IT for granted...but to some re-installing and configuring the OS is complex. ...just as rebuilding an engine would be to a
lot of us IT oriented folks.

spat55

Distinguished
Just as well I built my PC. I have a laptop, which is 3 years old, still runs great even with vista, but as it never came with a Vista disk, I cannot reinstall it unfortunately the only thing I can do is maybe buy windows 7 for it. Thing is it is 3 years old now so the trackpad click doesn't work well and I snapped the right ctrl off.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]spat55[/nom]Just as well I built my PC. I have a laptop, which is 3 years old, still runs great even with vista, but as it never came with a Vista disk, I cannot reinstall it unfortunately the only thing I can do is maybe buy windows 7 for it. Thing is it is 3 years old now so the trackpad click doesn't work well and I snapped the right ctrl off.[/citation]
Run Ubuntu and get secure computing.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
From the thumbs down on anyone who slams China I see there are allot of commie sympathizers on here but the Democrats/liberals are full of commie lovers.

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
[citation][nom]spat55[/nom]Just as well I built my PC. I have a laptop, which is 3 years old, still runs great even with vista, but as it never came with a Vista disk, I cannot reinstall it unfortunately the only thing I can do is maybe buy windows 7 for it.[/citation]
Unfortunately this is standard for PCs. You merely get a recovery partition, where you can restore all the trialware, malware, and bloat that was originally installed. The option for physical media is unreasonably expensive from major manufacturers. And while it may be easy for some to simply download an ISO and use the OEM key you have, most people are unable to properly burn/mount an ISO, much less download one. Everyone who is able to service their own PC needs to consider themselves lucky and not simply assume everyone is capable of that.

G

Does that mean they come with all the windows updates,MSE,IE10,WMP,Wlive and MSO2011 preinstalled already?

this is ludicrous. You have a recovery partition. Uninstalling programs is trivial. Backups are integrated into windows and it harasses you if you don't set them up. You are supposed to burn your own restore disks at setup and it begs you too. if you don't and wait till a harddrive failure that's your fault.

disks are 12 bucks from support on average. You can download and burn an iso for free. Easily

There are two classes of users. People who know how to use a computer and don't need the instructions, and people who have no clue. Don't follow the instructions. And can't use Google. And would rather have a busted computer than ask for help

Status
Not open for further replies.