[SOLVED] Many thin horizontal lines appearing on monitor

Mar 5, 2021
I have a 5 year old Acer R240HY monitor hooked up to a 5 year old Windows 10 machine with an Nvidia GTX 960 graphics card. I'm not sure exactly when this started but in the past couple weeks I have noticed thin, greyish, horizontal lines that appear consistently and regularly spaced on the screen. There seem to be about 20 per inch, and the lines are maybe 1/4 the width of the spacing between them, so about 1/100th of an inch. They are there all the time, but seem to be most noticeable when the monitor is displaying green. They are also much more visible closer to the top of the screen, and perhaps slightly more visible on the left than the right.

I'm pretty sure the issue is with my monitor. I have tried swapping the HDMI cable to no effect (I don't have an easy way to test other cable inputs). I have tried connecting the monitor to a different computer and the lines still appear. I've tried changing resolution, refresh rate, color settings, and any other monitor settings I could find without any change in the lines. For what it's worth I also updated my graphics card driver.

Is this just an issue that is going to gradually get worse until I give in and replace the monitor, or does anyone have suggestions for how to reduce or eliminate this problem? Thank you!

Solution
I have a 5 year old Acer R240HY monitor hooked up to a 5 year old Windows 10 machine with an Nvidia GTX 960 graphics card. I'm not sure exactly when this started but in the past couple weeks I have noticed thin, greyish, horizontal lines that appear consistently and regularly spaced on the screen. There seem to be about 20 per inch, and the lines are maybe 1/4 the width of the spacing between them, so about 1/100th of an inch. They are there all the time, but seem to be most noticeable when the monitor is displaying green. They are also much more visible closer to the top of the screen, and perhaps slightly more visible on the left than the right.

I'm pretty sure the issue is with my monitor. I have tried swapping the HDMI cable to...
Feb 28, 2021

I'm pretty sure the issue is with my monitor. I have tried swapping the HDMI cable to no effect (I don't have an easy way to test other cable inputs). I have tried connecting the monitor to a different computer and the lines still appear. I've tried changing resolution, refresh rate, color settings, and any other monitor settings I could find without any change in the lines. For what it's worth I also updated my graphics card driver.

Is this just an issue that is going to gradually get worse until I give in and replace the monitor, or does anyone have suggestions for how to reduce or eliminate this problem? Thank you!
See if you can hook up another monitor or tv because video cards go bad as well.

Solution