Discussion Marvel Movie Madness

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
I was looking at what's new in theatres and remembered someone telling me there is too any Marvel movies coming out and I find myself agreeing with him about taking a bit of a break from it. There are multiple movies coming out from the Venom sequel to the third MCU Spiderman film. It seems that the more popular heroes are receiving the attention and the underrated ones such as the Black Cat and even Spider-Gwen, who might be in the aforementioned Spiderman film are not gaining popularity well. What I am saying is Marvel and/or Disney should really put the think tanks into overdrive and thin about where the cutoff for making movie or spinoffs comes in so that one can take time in recognizing the "underdogs" so to speak. Also I feel the DC movie Steel should be thought about as an example.

Reactions: ArmedUndDang

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You are talking about the same company that took a relatively obscure comic like Guardians of the Galaxy and pushed it to the forefront. Same could be said of Iron Man, wasn't a very popular character on his own, though well known in media.

Some of their side characters don't do too well on their own either. Black Widow wasn't super huge, and objectively a pretty simple story with little character development. First venom wasn't a hit either, that they bothered with a sequel is somewhat surprising. Though they are falling a little into the common trope of having the character fight themselves (yes, Carnage is as popular, but other symbiotes was also the threat in the first one)

Follow up Doctor Strange should be interesting, though probably not a huge success.
Thor 4 should be interesting and popular, they've done a good job differentiating him from the basic comic character.
No sign of a standalone Hulk movie (honestly they've taken a lot of the fun ideas and stuck them in other properties, so not really sure where they would go)

You have the Eternals as a shot in the dark for another more obscure comic. They just did Shang Chi (I haven't caught that one yet) Probably the safest asian character they could track down.

Then there is the entire TV section with the What Ifs, and all the various character shows. I don't really think they are leaving anything on the table.

Disney is scrambling to create new IP as a lot of their traditional stuff is going to start going public domain here in a few years. Mickey Mouse in 2024. So creating all this content means the contemporary likeness of these characters they can keep around for the next several generations (A lot harder to do with a more simplified character like MM)

Disney needs to get someone passionate in charge of any new Star Wars plans, or stick to TV.

DC TV and Animated, as usual, are far better than the movies. They need to take a serious look at hiring some of those writers to make their movie screen plays. Snyder Cut was okay, certainly better than the first release, but still has a lot of flaws.

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
You are talking about the same company that took a relatively obscure comic like Guardians of the Galaxy and pushed it to the forefront. Same could be said of Iron Man, wasn't a very popular character on his own, though well known in media.

Some of their side characters don't do too well on their own either. Black Widow wasn't super huge, and objectively a pretty simple story with little character development. First venom wasn't a hit either, that they bothered with a sequel is somewhat surprising. Though they are falling a little into the common trope of having the character fight themselves (yes, Carnage is as popular, but other symbiotes was also the threat in the first one)

Follow up Doctor Strange should be interesting, though probably not a huge success.
Thor 4 should be interesting and popular, they've done a good job differentiating him from the basic comic character.
No sign of a standalone Hulk movie (honestly they've taken a lot of the fun ideas and stuck them in other properties, so not really sure where they would go)

You have the Eternals as a shot in the dark for another more obscure comic. They just did Shang Chi (I haven't caught that one yet) Probably the safest asian character they could track down.

Then there is the entire TV section with the What Ifs, and all the various character shows. I don't really think they are leaving anything on the table.

Disney is scrambling to create new IP as a lot of their traditional stuff is going to start going public domain here in a few years. Mickey Mouse in 2024. So creating all this content means the contemporary likeness of these characters they can keep around for the next several generations (A lot harder to do with a more simplified character like MM)

Disney needs to get someone passionate in charge of any new Star Wars plans, or stick to TV.

DC TV and Animated, as usual, are far better than the movies. They need to take a serious look at hiring some of those writers to make their movie screen plays. Snyder Cut was okay, certainly better than the first release, but still has a lot of flaws.
That is a lot to take in so your assessment is quite impressive. You do make some intriguing points. Looking forward for the future debates on the future itself.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I like to watch movie reviews and other related content. Amazing what you pick up.

Probably a Fantastic 4 reboot coming at some point. They have the mutants now with the Fox acquisition, though since they were forced down the Inhumans route, might be hard for them to shift that into the universe. My guess there is they would use Spiderman as a bridge, since that was fairly traditional, or through the Avengers which is also common canon, though they've built up quite the cadre of characters so far. Basically, they have more 'popular' characters then they can shake a stick at, and they will surely bring in more revenue then some of the very obscure characters.

Though with the moderate success of the recent Suicide Squad, always some input they can take from that, you can do fun things with oddball or one off characters. (Looking at you Star Wars...basically made characters for toy models, some would argue an homage to Boba Fett, but just lazy writing in reality)

g-unit1111

Titan

That's what I love about the MCU is that they take obscure characters and bring them to the forefront. In the 90s they tried to do that with Blade and got a semi-successful movie out of it but couldn't have used that as the launching point for what they have now.

Shang-Chi was great. Only complaint I had was that the references and cameos from other MCU flicks did get into ridiculous territory, but otherwise it was pretty enjoyable for an MCU flick. It didn't really bring anything new to the table other than new MCU characters, but that's not really a bad thing. I can't wait to see Eternals.

The TV shows are amazing, they're better than what I expected. I have not seen What If yet but I have seen Loki, Wandavision and Falcon And Winter Soldier, and they were all great. FAWS was probably my favorite of the bunch.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The flood of good writers to television happened about a decade ago. Not sure why the movie industry hasn't caught on yet. MCU works because they are practically building a mini-series over the span of decades, filler content, games, everything. They can afford to take chances with a flop, knowing full well people will likely see it to fill in the blanks.

Movie funding has gone too far to the extreme. Movie must make 1 billion dollars, so low budget films in popular media have disappeared. Movie must cater to an international audience,
(bland, so translations work, humor must be simplistic and universal). Since the format is still approximately 2 hours, you must shorten character development, struggle, and resolution (without just blind copying the standard formula)

I'm trying not to build a cable package out of subscriptions, so haven't picked up Disney+ yet. Occasionally watch with my brother. Though I did just switch ISPs and technically have some spare cash a month. Technically have Direct TV though I don't watch it myself. Cheaper to get it through my phone plan than for my parents to pay for the discrete service.

g-unit1111

Titan
Movie funding has gone too far to the extreme. Movie must make 1 billion dollars, so low budget films in popular media have disappeared. Movie must cater to an international audience,
(bland, so translations work, humor must be simplistic and universal). Since the format is still approximately 2 hours, you must shorten character development, struggle, and resolution (without just blind copying the standard formula)

Yeah that's the bad thing about the movie business is that they must make billions or the franchise is no good. Catering to an international audience I have no problem with, but I can imagine that it would make life hard for both producers and directors.

I'm trying not to build a cable package out of subscriptions, so haven't picked up Disney+ yet. Occasionally watch with my brother. Though I did just switch ISPs and technically have some spare cash a month. Technically have Direct TV though I don't watch it myself. Cheaper to get it through my phone plan than for my parents to pay for the discrete service.

Disney + is worth it, in addition to a lot of the originals which are mostly hit or miss, I got it for the MCU series plus I love that it has all 32 seasons of the Simpsons and in the original formats.

Nov 3, 2021
I've actually been really enjoying What If? It feels like a more adventurous spin on the whole thing, and it's fun to watch if you're a fan of the comics. :)