Marvell Unveils New SSD 6Gb/s SATA Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
If it beats (or is very near) SF-2281-controlled drives in compressible writes, I'm in.
If there's support for TRIM on a RAID array, I'm in.

I still wish a manufacturer would slap on 2-4GB of DRAM cache- though I'd still love to see the benchmarks of a drive with 1GB DRAM and this controller.

xyriin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Yet another Marvell controller? They need to put out good firmware and drivers for the pieces of junk they currently have out there instead of releasing another beta product. You know there is a problem when you have to downgrade your SSDs from the Marvell SATA III controller to SATA II controller in order to avoid things like disk access lockups.

/much hate for Marvell due to multiple product failures

Middleman

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
If this thing is as worthless as every other Marvell controller I've ever dealt with, paint me disinterested.

The only thing more shoddy than the controllers themselves are their drivers, which tend to conflict with others like a drunken sailor with Asperger's at a high society party.

edlivian

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
i think you guys are confused, marvell makes the controller for the most reliable ssd on the market, Crucial m4, intel 510.
sandforce is the one known for lockups and system crashes

acyuta

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Marvell???. Now that is a name that implies exactly the opposite. On ASus Sabertooth X58 with 2 Marvell Sata 6Gb ports, I inserted the boot drive, installed win 7 x64, and then the Marvell drivers. The result was BSODs every day. Initially shifted the boot drive to native 3 Gb ports and the BSODs stopped. Then after some time, I totally disconnected the Marvell connection to the MB and am now doing with 6 native 3Gb drivers. I will never buy another Marvell controller as long as I have a choice.

edlivian

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
i would not recommend anything but intel for consumer ahci chipset or raid device, but as an ssd controller, the crucial m4 is known for its reliability, check newegg ratings for it compared to sandforce controllers.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Why are BSOD's so commen with SSD, my brother said at his lab they don't trust SSD's for high end server racks because its not stable, I got mine and every other day is BSOD day.

edlivian

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
I have four different ssd's and i do not have any bsod's. Make sure you do a clean os install, and your bios is set to AHCI mode and download the latest drivers from the chipset manufacturers (intel/amd/lsi/nvidia/marvell)

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
[citation][nom]edlivian[/nom]i think you guys are confused, marvell makes the controller for the most reliable ssd on the market, Crucial m4, intel 510.sandforce is the one known for lockups and system crashes[/citation]

Shill alert!

Marvell considers a product mature when the item is no longer manufactured by any other vendor.

edlivian

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
[citation][nom]MISRy[/nom]Shill alert! Marvell considers a product mature when the item is no longer manufactured by any other vendor.[/citation]

yeah right, I have no ties to the company.

I own a few crucial m4's and ocz vertex 3.

But if you read every review on the internet, they say the marvell controller is much more reliable than the sandforce controller.

quicksand10

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
[citation][nom]edlivian[/nom]if you read every review on the internet, they say the marvell controller is much more reliable than the sandforce controller.[/citation]

See Intel 520 SSD, based on Sandforce SF-2281 controller (tweaked by Intel) and is hands down the most reliable consumer SSD on the market today.

The OCZ Vertex 3 is also a very good drive lol...
I'm not saying the Crucial m4 isn't good, I would have bought that if it was cheaper than the OCZ Vertex 3 when I got it on special :lol:

Middleman

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
[citation][nom]jaber2[/nom]Why are BSOD's so commen with SSD, my brother said at his lab they don't trust SSD's for high end server racks because its not stable, I got mine and every other day is BSOD day.[/citation]

It's not the SSD that's causing the lockups and BSOD's, it's the damn controller on the motherboard. Yeah there was a bad batch of Sandforce 2281's I believe that had issues, which were eventually fixed with a firmware update (at the expense of performance, but not a huge drop) but other than that, SSD's are pretty rock solid. I'm on my 3rd build with SSD's as my boot drive, the last two in a raid array, and they are awesome. My system goes from POST to login in 16 seconds, faster if I disable the other drives, and I couldn't be happier. The only part of my latest build that's given me problems is my backup array, that's run through that GD Marvell controller. Marvell is junk, plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.