Massive, 3-lbs Silentmaxx TwinBlock Cools PC Up to 100W

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

$120?.hmmmmm...
I take it for $12
do I need special design motherboard or case to fit that in?

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]So does it need a fan or not?[/citation]
how did you miss the first sentence?

"A dual-heatsink design offered by Silentmaxx promises to cool CPUs with a power consumption of up to 100 watts - without the need of fans."

$120? You're better off buying a Cooler Master Hyper 212+/EVO and putting some quieter $20 fans on it like the Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15s, or investing in an XSPC RX240 kit. Both will be very quiet for the same price or less.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
wow...really?....if anyone is willing to put this on their mobo they are really dumb....that's a lot of weight to be hanging from only 4 bolts...coun't me out...i will stick with my liquid block from Koolance (360)

f-14

Distinguished
that's nothing, i have a 2 ton heat sink sitting outside my window that will cool ANY PC, even the last one which was on fire, installation requires heavy equipment or a really good HVAC guy.
it runs at about 41 dbs, but that's nothing a $198 blower fan can't fix

bucknutty

Distinguished
I wonder what the back plate looks like? I would assume a 3 pound cooler would need a pretty crazy mounting and support system. Maybe they have some sort of hangers so you can move some of the weight to the mother board mounts, or to the case directly.

Holy cow that is huge! Why on earth would you not go with WC if noise was such a concern? Or even a 212, remove the fan, and put a plastic shroud between the cooler and an intake/exhaust fan. There is simply no practical application for something like this...

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]wow...really?....if anyone is willing to put this on their mobo they are really dumb....that's a lot of weight to be hanging from only 4 bolts...coun't me out...i will stick with my liquid block from Koolance (360)[/citation]

I've seen bridges held by 4 bolts each side.

Maybe not so dumb then?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
the fanless psu, the fanless cpu, and ssd... you can actually build a computer with no moving parts now, granted it wont be a gaming computer, but fanless none the less.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]ErikO[/nom]I've seen bridges held by 4 bolts each side.Maybe not so dumb then?[/citation]
Or maybe dumb for the bridge too?
Just a thought.

This has applications for non-gaming PCs in my opinion. Some people are bothered by noise. I'm one of them. However, even this beast would need a fan with my setup (mostly due to the fact that the air temp gets to 90 degrees or so in my home office during the summer. A/C is expensive to run when 110 is the high and 85 is the overnight low).

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]the fanless psu, the fanless cpu, and ssd... you can actually build a computer with no moving parts now, granted it wont be a gaming computer, but fanless none the less.[/citation]
I can't imagine running a completely fanless chassis, I'd want at least one low speed 120mm rear fan just to move the stagnant air out.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
how come under no circumstance can i see putting that in my PC as a good idea ? I foresee severe problems with the MB's resistance around the CPU socket, and would not be surprised by micro cracks/fissures in those multilayerd pathways running under the CPU socket and around it ....

Status
Not open for further replies.